1. Description of Our Community
Taipei Songshan Airport (TSA) is located in Songshan District of Taipei, and it’s in the same district as our school, Xisong Elementary School, is. As the first airport in Taiwan, TSA was established on April 16th, 1950. It had being serving as the transportation hub of Taiwan, both domestically and internationally. However, after the newly-established Taoyuan Airport started to serve as the main international airport in 1976 and the Taiwan High Speed Railway System took over the domestic transportation business in 2005, TSA had been in a slump for quite a long time, not until the direct contract flights resumed to operate across Taiwan straight in 2008 and between Songshan, Taipei and Haneda, Tokyo in 2010.
2. Summary of Our Project
In this project, our subject is Taipei Songshan Airport (TSA). The methods we conducted including face-to-face interviews, questionnaires, and field study. Through this project, we would like to introduce this airport, which located in our community, to people all over the world. We hope people can know more about TSA and also expect TSA can improve itself better.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dial-up modem
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
1. Though we have found plenty of information, sometimes it’s not easy to verify its reliability. We need to check over and over before we can really use it. 2. It is not as easy as we thought while doing the survey. We had been rejected a lot when looking for the interviewees. However, we realize if we can be more polite and sincere, things will go much more smoothly. 3. Because we wanted to conduct the survey on the passengers at TSA, we met some foreigners. At first we had the language problem. However, some of them were very nice. And we also had an English version questionnaire which was helped by our teachers.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
TSA is the first airport in Taiwan. It’s part of Taiwan’s transportation and tourism history. It has been up and down along with the economic and political development of Taiwan. From the story of TSA, we learn that innovation is always important. No matter how the society changes, if you work hard to transform yourself, you will be successful one day.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
1. Language Arts: Language ability is the most important subject during the research. It applies to the interview questions, research report, and analytical diagrams. Every time we wrote the report, our writing skills improved. 2. Mathematics: When we were conducting statistical analysis for the survey, we had to count the number of subjects, calculated the percentage, and trained our ability to read the charts. Thus, our math ability was improved. 3. Arts and Humanities: For webpage editing, we learned computer skills and webpage layout and design. 4. Science and Technology: We searched information on the Internet and used various software to write and edit web pages; thus, we improved our IT skills. 5. Social Studies: We have to understand the history of Taipei Songshan Airport and even the whole Taiwan. Besides, by designing questionnaires and conducting the survey, we've learned how to do a research. 6. Integrative Activities: During this project, we all kept positive interaction in cooperation and collaboration. The sense of accomplishment is our main motivation.