1. Description of Our Community
Located on the Taipei basin, New Taipei City surrounds Keelung City and Taipei City, the capital of Taiwan; these three cities form the Taipei Metropolis. New Taipei City, a typical populous city, is the biggest municipality in Taiwan, and Xindain District is one of the inner city districts in the southern part of New Taipei City. In early days, Xindian was uninhabited, but because it was close to Taipei City, Xindian attracted many enterprises to come to the area to build and develop their business industry. Kang Xuan Enterprise is one of the successful enterprises in Xindian area.
Wan Ji Li, the chairman of Kang Xuan Enterprise, enthusiastically promotes sports, such as swimming, marathon, mountaineering, and triathlon to Kang Xuan Enterprise due to his passion for sports. Mr. Li believes that sports can unify the entire enterprise, so he further brings the sports to Kang Chiao International School, a school that Mr. Li established. Kang Xuan Enterprise has become the enterprise with the most Ironman triathletes. Nevertheless, Mr. Li’s Ironman mindset: “Success is attained with preparations, while failure is caused without.” and “To keep it up, and become the oldest triathlete on the field.” has great influence on the entire Kang Chiao International School, from the elementary school to the high school. Mr. Li’s Ironman mindset is not only the symbol of the Kang Xuan enterprise, but also the hidden future skill of the Kang Chiao International School students.
2. Summary of Our Project
Through materials reading and collecting, videos watching, interviewing, personal experiences, ect, this project discusses the history of the Ironman Triathlon and its differences from other sports. This project also further studies the chairman of Kang Xuan Enterprise and his passion for Ironman Triathlon and how his passion of the sport impacts our school community as a whole.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
Currently, our school provides us with an adequate e-learning environment. Not only do we have two well-equipped computer labs available for our use, but each teacher is also provided with a desktop computer for his or her personal use. In addition, there is Wi-Fi throughout the entire school. All the sixth-and-fifth grade participants of CyberFair this time are enrolled in our e-learning classes at school in which the classroom instruction, homework, and projects are all done with the use of a Chromebook. In terms of our Internet accessibility, we can use the wireless Internet within our school campus with ease. We can access and store our work in the school-wide server. We can also use the Internet to conduct our research as well as share our work and finding with our teammates.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
1. Collecting and categorizing mass amount of information Before interviewing Chairman Li, Coach Wang, and Teacher Chiu, it wasn’t too hard to collect their information online. Therefore, we needed to first discuss the main ideas of our project and how we wanted it to be presented on the mindmap. 2.Arranging the interviews Our second challenge was how to conduct the interviews, collecting the information, and leaving a good impression on our interviewees within a limited timeframe. We listed out the questions after some studies of the topic. We prepared for the unpredicted situation that might happen in the interview. We asked the academic department to assist us with picture taking, sound recording, and video taking in order to keep the full record of the first-hand information for further use. 3. Challenges in learning about Ironman Triathlon To avoid affecting our normal academic schedule, we tried to organize the interviews during the designated club periods. Great thanks to the collaborations from different school departments to help us organize the meetings with our interviewees and provide us with the opportunities to learn in an environment rich with triathlon-related events like the IronKids race, Water Sports Day, and Snow Mountain climbing trip. So that, from our interview, we have the first hand-knowledge about the lessons and struggles these men experience and try to spread their “Ironman Spirit” to our school life. 4.Teamwork This project takes the effort from all of the members involved. Too many times that we realized even if we finished our individual parts, when the whole thing was put together, many problems appeared as the content may not correspond to each other or conflicting information. Our ten-member group didn’t work as a team in the beginning. It’s only when we started to examine each other’s information and discuss the project as a whole, then we were able to clarify what was amiss and work together to solve all of the problems.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
“The one who keeps on running is the one gain the most wisdom.”
Our Chairman Li once said in our interview, “If I keep my heart and soul young, the age and distance will never stop me, will never become a problem or a difficulty.” Also, Coach “Starfish” Wang said, “A mighty determination is the key how a triathlete overcomes any future challenges.”
These are the essence of the lesson we learn. Age or a failure in a race event is never the factor in determining if an athlete was successful. Only when we keep on running, keep a young and healthy soul, and keep our goals ahead, then we can achieve any milestones they set in life.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
1.Language: visit, interview, write about the special topics, and write about our opinions 2.Social studies: plan the research, create the project framework, design the interview questions and the survey, and organize the interview transcripts 3.Integrated activities:integrate the information and data from the interview, survey, online and printed research, and others to complete the project 4.Computer science: research, web design 5.Independent study:learn the research skills, such as brainstorming, mindmap, survey design, interview skills, organizing data and information, and many others