1. Description of Our Community
Shetou Township is located in the southeast part of Changhua County, Taiwan. According to the elderly, during the late Ming Dynasty and early Ching Dynasty, a large population of Han Chinese migrated from Mainland China to Taiwan, and called the aboriginal tribes as “She”. “Shetou” is named for the area as it is where the chiefs of Tavocol Tribe of Hoanya. Shetou is known for its hosiery industry and guava production.
2. Summary of Our Project
By interview, we approached the main character, Mr. Chao-chiang Chen. By his sincerity and enthusiasm, he shared his numerous collections and life stories with train. Gradually, we recognized his passion and life recognition with train as a train specialist. He extended the enthusiasm with train to efforts on his restaurant and introduced lunch boxes by his passion. Since childhood, Mr. Chen has grown in the sound of train. With the influence of his grandfather, the second and third uncles and father as train drivers, he accumulated the memory of train. In the study from elementary school, Ershui Junior High School (graduated in 1988), automobile practice department of The Affiliated Industrial Vocational High School of National Changhua University of Education (graduated in 1991) to Department of Agribusiness Management, National Pingtung University of Science and Technology and adventures of a youth, he has never been withdrawn from being a train fool. The experience in lunch
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:21-50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:2-3
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
We mainly used academic network in school and applied for cloud storage of Google and Facebook account in computer classroom. Thus, everyone could manage the project by ADSL in school or at home to connect with collaborative platform of Google. We shared and modified the information.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
1. Lack of time It seemed that there were six months from learning about the competition to deadline to submit the project. However, the classmates were occupied with practice of international education, holiday practice of band music club and modern drama club or practice for school activities. They had fewer time to meet for project making.
2. Unfamiliar with web page Since we had never learned web page construction, learning and use were difficult. At the beginning, we even did not know how to start web page system and decompress the files downloaded. The websites were often disappeared after we opened them and we realized that we forgot to decompress them. In the computer classroom, when using the computer, we worried that our work would be destroyed due to restoration. When we managed the project at home, we also concerned about carelessly replacing the classmates’ work.
3. Writing editing After two times of interview, the narration of our acquisition was too ordinary and simple; the transcription of sound recording was often incoherent.
4. Authorization In actual interview, we needed the agreement of the subjects and interviewers and produced the project with their affidavits.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
We have learned so much from this Cyberfair project. We realized that we could reach our dreams, through hard work. No matter how many obstacles we have faced, we could overcome each one through hard work. Also, Mr. Chen told us about many situations that he had faced and solved with positive thinking, which has inspired us deeply.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
In terms of language arts, before the interview, we must prepare for the method to pose the questions. The questions should be simple and polite. After the interview, the acquisition and transcription should not be ordinary and should be interesting. Although we had made efforts, the results were often rejected. We must be further improved. In terms of social studies, according to introduction of Mr. Chen, we recognized the richness of train history. Old address of present fire station was the old residence of Chao-chiang Chen. We realized that old buildings were solid and constructed by timber of Chinese cypress. After the introduction of train No.135, we acquired different models of train, such as coal mine, cane sugar, tree and goods. No. 135 was the old train in sugar refinery of Hsi Hu and it was impressive. In terms of arts, in the dining area of the first floor, the design of chairs resembles railway carriage. In the fine object collection of the second floor, there are the introductions of alcohol, stone and mini-building. On the third floor, it shows the arrangement from train uniform to keyboard of ticket office. It requires design. In terms of nature and life technology, with the efforts of the owner who had studied automobile practice, classmates and teacher, we repaired Train No. 135 and synchronized clocks. Mr. Chen shared with us his experience which is filled with mechanical knowledge. In terms of information technology, by cloud storage and social network, busy classmates can write, revise and search for data when they are available.