1. Description of Our Community
Lukang is located at the midpoint of the west coast of Taiwan and is the closest city to Mainland China from Taiwan, so it was naturally developed to a prosperous city of commercial port. Between 1785 and 1845, Lukang was in its heyday. Later, it quickly declined due to the sediments in the port. Therefore, many old architectures and valuable cultural and artistic assets were kept. It became a famous cultural and tourist city for its unique and fascination in historical sites, temples, crafts, foods, and literature art.
2. Summary of Our Project
Walking in zigzagging Lukang Nine-turns Lane, by raising the head, we can see the platform across the long lane. It is the well-known Shi-yi Building. The Pao Ma Building connects three houses. Shi-yi Building is the mansion of the rich businessman of Ching Chang Company in Lukang and in the past, it was the place where the literati recited the poems and joined in night banquets. “Shi-yi” of Shi-yi Building refer to “playing instruments, chess, reciting poetry, drinking, painting, flower appreciation, moon gazing, playing games, smoking and tea tasting”. In order to allow more people to further recognize Shi-yi Building, we plan research directions: (1) To discover architectural characteristics of Shi-yi Building. (2) To study history of Family Chen of Shi-yi Building. (3) To explore the important literati who have recited the poems and participated in night banquets. (4) To explore restoration plan and prospect. In the following, we will explore history and building of Shi-yi Building by reviewing data and interviews. Through explanation of historic interest and analysis of questionnaires, we expect more people to obtain historical significance of Shi-yi Building.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:1
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
1. Collective time In order to produce Cyberfair project, generally speaking, we used the time of noon break and self-study classes in the school or holidays to meet in computer classroom. Thus, it was more difficult that all members could be present. During noon break, we did our best to be present after finishing the study in the morning and met in computer classroom after eating lunch. 2. Academic problem There could be conflict between Cyberfair project and learning. Our daily academic workload was significant and we had to accomplish Cyberfair project before the deadline. In computer classroom, we made all efforts on Cyberfair project to be the most efficient in the shortest time in order to balance the schedule. 3.Members’ relationship The members were from different classes. In order to accomplish investigation, interview and recording in the same group, it was a challenge to maintain the interpersonal relationship. The misunderstanding could be caused due to stress of work progress and verbal expression. Fortunately, we were tolerant with each other and coped with the conflicts by sense of humor and thus made progress. By Cyberfair project, we obtained the technique of interpersonal relationship. 4. Data collection Shi-yi Building is an ancient historic interest and descendants of Family Chen are numerous. Time of data reorganization was insufficient and it was difficult to select the information. We inquired the opinions of teachers and classmates and searched for blogs and Facebook and recommendation of internet users and constructed the list to select the data. 5. Web page construction technique We have constructed personal briefing which was simple personal introduction. In this project, we spent more time learning unfamiliar web page. We asked for the help from teachers and experienced classmates who coped us the problems with enthusiasm.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
It was my first time participating in Cyberfair project and it was a brand new experience. Although I have lived in Lukang since childhood, it was the first time that I approached the historic interest of the hometown. It was not only Shi-yi Building introduced in guides for tourists and my impression, but also a warm and meaningful building. Lukang Township is well-known by the preservation of the historic buildings. Shi-yi Building is the evidence of change of time and people and affection of the town remain. I intend to contribute myself to preservation of history and culture. With the visits, as a resident who has lived in Lukang for more than a decade, I realized that I have missed the ancient traces. In this activity, I recognized the beauty of Lukang. After the restoration of Shi-yi Building, I expect that all people can appreciate Shi-yi Building and the charm of historic interests in Lukang.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
We adopted Shi-yi Building as research topic, discussed the content, planned research project, managed work division and visited and acquired history and building of Shi-yi Building. We played the roles as guides from recognizing and appreciating the hometown to promoting tourism resources of Lukang. By searching for online information and constructing web page, we learned to integrate knowledge by technology and developed active exploration. We approached the hometown, thought actively, generalized information, developed creative ideas and expressed our opinions and it led to acquisition of different abilities ! 1. Language: It cultivated our writing and language competence by reading books, content of websites, collecting and analyzing data, generalizing data as content of web page, writing acquisition and progress, interviewing the figures, presentation on stage, etc. 2.Society: We reviewed history of Shi-yi Building and further recognized the development of Ching Chang Company and Lukang at the time. By interview with Mr. Yen-yu Chuang and Mrs. A-hua Chi Chuang, we enhanced identity with the homeland. 3. Art and humanity: In the process to construct web page, we obtained drawing and graphic competence. Through decorative art in Shi-yi Building, we approached the beauty of traditional art. 4. Nature and life technology: With the coming of information technology era, we must enhance competence to apply information and from numerous data, we think independently, integrate information and propose innovative ideas. It cultivated our information processing competence by constructing the web page. 5. General: Strategies in the interview, opinion expression, questions and views in discussion, members’ team work, learning advantages and disadvantages from each other and acquisition of personal time management are included in general field.