1. Description of Our Community
Taipei, the capital of Taiwan, is located in the north of Taiwan. It is close to New Taipei City and Keelung City. It is one of the most prosperous cities in Taiwan. The industry and commerce are flourishing in Taipei. The rapid development of economy makes more people want to move and live around this area. Hence, the population has grown to 7 millions till now. Although Taipei is a highly developed city, there are still some outdated places which is so dirty that one can never imagine. The technology development might be worth paying attention, but concerning about the disadvantaged living in those outdated areas should be prior to anything else. Caring the disadvantaged can even shorten the gaps between haves and have-nots. Therefore, this year, we pay more attention on one of the poor communities in the middle of Taipei, Nanjichang. Nanjichang which is located in Wanhua District is very close to the city center. The Taipei Main Station in Wanhua District is an interjuction of MRT, high-speed rail, and other railways which is in sharp contrast to Nanjichang. Nanjichang has the highest proportion of elders and low-income households comparing to other districts. Although there has been some progress, people over there still need our help. Through this project, we hope there will be more people face up to the problems of Nanjichang and willing to support the community. Eventually, we hope Nanjichang can become what it was like before.
2. Summary of Our Project
Located in Wanhua District, Nanjichang Community was constructed and completed in 1963 which has been 56 years. There has been a lot of changes throughout those years, and it is now managed by the borough chief of Zhongcin Village, Fang Ho-sheng. The purpose of building Nanjichang Community was to attract more people living in Wanhua, Taipei. The well-served facilities in those years also caught people’s eyes. However, when the maintenance was neglected and other districts were developing, Nanjichang Community was faded out. Recently, through the management of the borough chief, Fang Ho-sheng, the community has gradually become more peaceful and friendly. With the research data, video, field-observation study, interview, etc, this project will present a thorough study of Nanjichang, the history in those 56 years, the difficulties the community has been through, the story of the latest borough chief, Fang Ho-sheng, and his management system. The volunteer experience also provided a chance to explore how the community system exactly works. From the historical data, field-observation study and voluntary service, the project will reveal what Nanjichang has experienced.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
Currently, our school provides us with an adequate e-learning environment. Not only do we have two well-equipped computer labs available for our use, but each teacher is also provided with a desktop computer for his or her personal use. In addition, there is Wi-Fi throughout the entire school. All the sixth-and-fifth grade participants of CyberFair this time are enrolled in our e-learning classes at school in which the classroom instruction, homework, and projects are all done with the use of a Chromebook. In terms of our Internet accessibility, we can use the wireless Internet within our school campus with ease. We can access and store our work in the school-wide server. We can also use the Internet to conduct our research as well as share our work and finding with our teammates.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
1. Collecting and organizing firsthand and secondhand information We can find information about the borough chief, Fang Ho-sheng, on the internet easily. Thus, analyzing the reliability of the data was quite important and difficult. Aside from that, we needed to know clearly what we wanted to present or else our project would lose focus. That’s also why we organized our thoughts collaboratively on the mindmap. 2. Field-observation study We read through the resources about the topic, and listed some questions we were interested. Before interview the borough chief, we practiced asking the questions in mock interviews. We even asked help from the Office of Academic Affair and teacher from Information Technology Department to take photos, record, film for us in order to get the firsthand information throughout the activity. The recording also benefited us a lot in this project. 3. Solving the problem of transportation In order not to affect our learning at school, the activities related to this project usually took place during our club time. Thanks to the teachers, we successfully arranged a school bus to interview the borough chief and complete the volunteering activity. 4. Volunteer activities As a borough chief, Fang Ho-sheng has started offers diversified services. However, not every volunteering activity is appropriate for children. Therefore, we were especially thankful for the borough chief’s understanding about our difficulties and how strong our desire to help the people in the community. When we visited him, he introduced his daily routine and responsibilities as a borough chief. He also involved us to some of the services. 5.Teamwork CyberFair is a project-based competition that requires teamwork. With our teacher’s help and guidance, we were able to continuously refine our project framework so that all the work was divided among us. As a result, everyone had a better understanding of his or her own role and responsibility in this project.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
The greatest satisfaction comes from satisfying the needs of others.
Nanjichang was a mess in the past few years. Trash was on the street, and the people lived in Nanjichang were all living in poverty. They are still old and poor, and they still need lots of help. However, with the effort the borough chief has made, Nanjichang has gradually turn into a lovely place. The satisfying smiles from the people in the community are what make the borough chief’s life worth living.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
1.Language: visit, interview, write about the special topics, and write about our opinions 2.Social studies: plan the research, create the project framework, design the interview questions and the survey, and organize the interview transcripts 3.Integrated activities:integrate the information and data from the interview, survey, online and printed research, and others to complete the project 4.Computer science: research, web design 5.Independent study:learn the research skills, such as brainstorming, mindmap, survey design, interview skills, organizing data and information, and many others