1. Description of Our Community
Taole is a little-known western town of China that rural life is always leisurely and comfortable. People here make a living by farming, they love this piece of land and love their mother river, Yellow River so much. By searching internet and visit, we got know that The Museum of Southern Frontier did not set up a web site as it opened. It is less of an important platform for spreading our homeland in the rocketing development of our internet. So we conferred with teacher to help museum with advertisement, to promote our homeland tourism business.
2. Summary of Our Project
In IT course, we made the most of times to ask teacher about the knowledge of webpage making. We asked teacher the way to write transcript after interview and materials collection when we had Chinese lesson. Under the instruction of teacher, all content correlating with websites are finished.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:less than 20
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:1
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:4-6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
School has the LAN system by ADSL connection. Currently, our school has 142 computers and provides us with an adequate e-learning environment. We have 3 well-equipped computer labs available for our use.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
(1) Collecting materials is not easy. Because museum of Southern Frontier is a new museum, we got few resources from internet. So we have to visit and interview on spot. (2) Little study recourses. We need using computer during the whole studying, but computer labs are available for a limited number of hours each week, and we are live on campus. So the rate of progress is very slow. (3) Security issues. There is a certain distance from school to museum. Parents and teachers worried about our safety when we were out of school. So we were cutting out trips to museum, to collect as much useful information as we can every time. 4) Our time is limited. We all have classes during the day, there are no more time to communicate with instructor. So our work did not go well.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
Thank many teachers, students and museum’s staffs’ help and support. By interview on spot, not only we learned how to communicate with people, but we got know a lot of information about the changes of Pingluo County, and further enhance the ability of social practice. Thanks to this research project, our computer operation skill is improving. In the whole process of research project, we found that nothing is impossible for a willing heart.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
Further enhance the ability of social practice. Thanks to this research project, our computer operation skill is improving. In IT course, we made the most of times to ask teacher about the knowledge of webpage making. We asked teacher the way to write transcript after interview and materials collection when we had Chinese lesson. Under the instruction of teacher, all content correlating with websites are finished. During the research project, many people talking with us did not know the museum was once an open museum as they passed by bus, they thought that this magnificent building is a landmark. By reading our website, more and more people who are not familiar with Pingluo County started to know this small town in the northwest of China. They found this is a good place to visit with their family on weekend. Our project has the support of many teachers and students. We also got our taste of the beautiful of homeland, and love this piece of land more.