1. Description of Our Community
Shihlin Night Market close to our school and has become the must-visit scenic site for many tourists since its foundation in 1909. This crowded tourism night market not only appeals in food and shopping but also preserves many historic buildings and old shops over one hundred years old on the old streets and lanes. Ruicheng Handmade Comforter shop is one such old shop.
2. Summary of Our Project
(1) Acquaint with the history of Ruicheng Handmade Comforter shop Help students understand the origin, development and the course of management transformation of Ruicheng Comforter shop.
(2) Acquaint with the different comforters available in the market Help students know the common types of comforters in the market such as cotton comforter, down comforter, wool comforter, and silk quilt in addition to understanding the general knowledge in comforter cleaning and maintenance.
(3) Experience the manufacturing process of handmade comforter Take students to visit Xizhi Handmade Comforter Factory and experience in person the process of handmade comforter manufacturing.
(4) Acquaintance and promotion for comforter Design questionnaire and promote for people to understand the history of handmade comforter and learn the knowledge about comforter.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:21-50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:1
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
The computer room is the primary premise for our research discussion, where the internet connection is quite smooth and we did not have any concerns when using the internet. Meanwhile we use Wi-Fi and 4G so that we could still conduct joint discussion for our research through Google applications via mobile phones or tabletPC even after we leave the classroom.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
(1) Students could not coordinate by schedule (2) Difficulty in finding a master for the experience activity (3) Method and skills of interview (4) Breakthrough in computer technology and difficulties
5. Our Project Sound Bite
We discovered some new findings when we look back the research after it was finished. We realized that not only did we gain more knowledge on the production of comforters but we also gained more common knowledge on comforters such as the maintenance. Meanwhile we admire the efforts exerted by owner Zhang and master Hsu in order to pass down this traditional technique. Now when we use comforters, we have more gratitude and different sentiment towards comforters.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
We were able to analyze in-depth, discover and experience the research topic from the research process while applying the knowledge and skills acquired from related school curriculum to reach the complementary effect.