1) What information tools & technologies did you used to complete your CyberFair project?
1. FreeMind: Drawing the project frame and the mind map. 2. PhotoScape: Editing images and pictures of the web pages. 3. Inkscape: Designing the layout of web pages. 4. CyberLink 8: Editing and dubbing into the video. 5. Dreamweavers: Making the web pages. 6. Digital camera and video recorder: Photographing and recording pictures and video. 7. Smartphone: Photographing or recording the interviews. 8. QR Code Generator and QR Code App. 9. PowerDirect 8.0: Editing our video.
2) In what ways did you act as "ambassadors" and spokespersons for your CyberFair project both on-line and in person.
1. We invited Mr. Chen, Chien-Hsing to be our lecturer to teach us how to grow Burdock. 2. We also interviewed Mr. Chen, Chien-Hsing to write the story about his return and his efforts for Gueilai burdock industry. 3. We shared the story of Mr. Chen at the morning meeting, in the information classes and in the course of the social field. 4. We made the billboard of OR Code tour for Gueilai burdock painting walls at the Pingtung Gueilai Elementary School to introduce them to visitors to our school. 5. We made the Website “Great Passion for Growing Great Burdock ” to share our results with everyone. 6. We shared our reports publicly: We shared our report, our Interview with Mr. Chen, Chien-Hsing, the winner of Shennong Award(2013) in Pingtung Gueilai area on the PeoPo: https://www.peopo.org/news/360529, and the report of our main findings from the interview with Mr. Chen about Gueilai burdock industry on the PeoPo: https://www.peopo.org/news/360805
7. We shared our video publicly: We uploaded our video, The Whole Burdock in Gueiali [CyberFair2018] to PeoPo and youtube website to share Gueilai story. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9E9nS3Tncc https://www.peopo.org/news/360971
3) What has been the impact of your project on your community?
(1) We work hard for inheriting the burdock culture and story. We record the Gueilai burdock story of Mr. Chen, Chien-Hsing, the winner of Shennong Award and his contributions to the burdock industry. We also make good use of the four painted walls with burdock characteristics in our school and make a QR Code guided tour of the burdock culture. We plan to make the painted wall in our school a great attraction for burdock culture in the tour of the burdock community. We do our part in documenting and inheriting the burdock culture. All we do are good for preserving our burdock culture.
(2) Our school combines the local burdock industry to develop food and agriculture education of the local farming characteristic.
(3) We establish a website to promote the story and his efforts of Mr. Chen. Gueilai burdock is very distinctive and of high-quality. Burdock needs a lot of publicity to share with the world. A good story may inspire more people to engage in agriculture and work together. This time, we make the first-hand information into a website with local characteristics.
(4)We make the video to tell Gueilai story of Mr. Chen's efforts. We want to introduce Gueilai burdock industry and share the video on the PeoPo website and youtube.
To promote our Gueilai story of Mr. Chen's efforts for burdock industry, we also decide to share our summary of the interview with Mr. Chen.
We post our summary of Chinese version and English version on the PeoPo, the website of Taiwan Public Television to share with more people.
4) How did your project involve other members of your community as helpers and volunteers?
This is the third year that we participate in the Cyberfair project. Although Mr. Chen is always busy in his burdock industry, he is always willing to support our project. After we contacted with Mr. Chen, he thought that it is worthwhile to serve as a burdock planting experience lecturer, teach us how to planting burdock and received our dating for interviewing. He never refused our request for our project study, though he was always in the hurry for burdock industry.
While teaching us how to planting burdock, he showed all the burdock farming that are novel and interesting for us to learn. He did his best to teach us how to plant burdock. He really deserved the reputation of the burdock farming expert. With his help, we had a better understanding of burdock planting and burdock industry.
In the process of our interview, Mr. Chen always answered our questions with humor and quoted us many examples to make us have better understandings about his words. He was always concentrated in answering questions. We thought that Mr. Chen was very serious about our questions. We all learned much about Gueilai burdock industry. We really thank Mr. Chen a lot for his generous help.
Besides, we got help from Mr. Chen’s wife, Mrs. Chen. She takes charge in dealing with the business of Delisen. She provided us with many data and many pictures of Delisen and the 13th Vegetable Production and Marketing Group. We thank Mrs. Chen for her generous help for finishing our project web pages.
5) Discoveries, Lessons and Surprises (Optional)
Surprises: We have better and further understandings of Mr. Chen's efforts for Gueilai burdock industry.
1. Burdock industry costs a lot of money to invest in equipment and research.
2. In the past, if you were not good at studying, the family would want you to go home for farming. In modern times, farmers need to work hard at learning new knowledge and then to be able to engage in agriculture.
3. Mr. Chen is a burdock magician who turns out many burdock products, such as burdock root tea, burdock sencha, burdock crisps, dried burdock root floss, dehydrated burdock, burdock essence capsules, burdock vinegar, and herbal shampoo.
4. The secret that Mr. Chen helps burdock farmers make money is that only the best quality of burdocks with the highest price are sold and the rest of burdocks are processed into many kinds of burdock products. By this way, the price of burdock increases.
5. People who want to make money must first know how to help people and are thoughtful of them.
Discoveries: Our main findings from the interview with Mr. Chen about Gueilai burdock industry are below.
Findings 1: At Gueilai, it is the promised land for planting burdock. Findings 2: At Gueilai, burdock is a elaborate planning! Findings 3: At Gueilai, burdock is more than agriculture products. Findings 4: At Gueilai, burdock is more than agriculture. Findings 5: At Gueilai, the whole body of burdock is all treasure. Findings 6: At Gueilai, burdock is a well-designed strategy of the industry. Findings 7: At Gueilai, burdock is inherited from generation to generation and the vocation of sustainable development. Findings 8: At Gueilai, burdock is a well-planned ideal 20 years ago and at this moment come true here. Coming back to Gueilai with great passion, how great Gueilai burdock is~
Our eight main findings of Mr. Chen's efforts for Gueilai burdock industry were made into the video and shared it on the PeoPo. The url is http://www.peopo.org/news/360971.