1) What information tools & technologies did you used to complete your CyberFair project?
The tools we used are as follows: 1.Recorder pen: Recording. 2.Internet: Searching for relevant data, email delivery, and transmission of files. 3.Digital camera: Taking photos at the scenes of a variety of activities. 4.Digital camcorder: presentation making in each class and barrier passing activity. 5.Printer and poster machines: Printing of data, large posters, and the questionnaire to customers. 6.Internet & EMAIL: Search for information, communicate, hand in the interview records 7.USB Drive: Storage of the data related to the CyberFair project 8.Computer software: Dreamweaver—production of web pages,, Photocap- image processing, Inkscape-vector drawing, Microsoft Word-data log and typewriting, Microsoft PowerPoint-make the presentation, Google Drive-store data.
2) In what ways did you act as "ambassadors" and spokespersons for your CyberFair project both on-line and in person.
In order to make more people get to know electromagnetic wave, we have conducted various kinds of related advocacy methods. During the process of advocacy, we have tried different methods to play the role of researchers and promotion ambassadors in person so that students will not be strange to electromagnetic wave gradually. We have the following concrete practices: (1) Announcers During the lunch time on every Tuesday, it is the time for radio drama of “Sound of Lu Jiang”, when we especially play a role of a man from electromagnetic planet and draw up a broadcast script suitable for all the schoolmates. We have spent lots of time and efforts in adjusting the difficulty of contents and increasing the interest! After the end of broadcast activities, many students become more familiar with “electromagnetic wave” and we feel a great sense of accomplishment! (2) Design of reading and learning sheet We take the opportunity of holding reading and writing contest in the school to design a reading and learning sheet related to electromagnetic wave and hope that students can express their own opinions of electromagnetic wave through this activity. (3)Propaganda by making presentations in each class we have searched and explored lots of data, sorted out the key information and then obtained the permission of tutors of each class in Grade 6 to go to the classroom to make the presentation. (4) Barrier passing activity Whereas we act as the research and propaganda ambassador of Cyberfair project, we would like to have a try to make students know electromagnetic wave in an interesting way. (5) The Achievements Presentation of Associations of our school When various associations can present their own features and learning outcomes and all school students can take this opportunity to appreciate the performances of associations or pay a visit to or hold activities in various stalls.
3) What has been the impact of your project on your community?
(1) Impact on us: During the period of participating in Cyberfair project, in addition to the collection of data, we need also recognize the useful information in numerous articles and generalize the key points we want to display. It is the brand new experience and challenge to have the interview, make the presentation in classroom, act as announcer and design the barrier passing activity during the process. Therefore, we need to learn to manage our own time, discuss and communicate with our partners and try various methods to complete the task, so as to completely motivate us to face the difficulties with the more active learning attitude! After we have reviewed the previous struggle news, we begin to know that there are lots of park green spaces and parking lots in Luzhou, which are the achievements obtained by predecessors and make us treasure the current environment more! Thanks to our participation in research activities, we will hold a more objective attitude and no longer feel scared when we pass a high voltage transformer station or see the relevant news. (2) Impact on the local: The theme of this research is “electromagnetic wave”. We have found that students universally have an insufficient relevant knowledge and school curriculums also lack such contents. As a result, the media easily influences people. We try our best to propagandize the relevant knowledge and hope to establish students’ correct concepts and make everyone know the hard-earned environment in Luzhou. Nowadays, there are still several electrical towers next to residents’ residence in Luzhou. We hope that Luzhou can become a demonstration area with lower electromagnetic wave someday in the future and we also hope that there will be more publicity measures or constructions to build the first “electromagnetic wave education center” so that we can have a better understanding of electromagnetic wave!
4) How did your project involve other members of your community as helpers and volunteers?
For the smooth completion of Cyberfair project, we would like to thank the following personnel: (1) Thank Representative Yueh-e Li Weng for dictating how they protest to build extra high voltage transformer station and the process of fighting for the underground of high voltage electrical towers. (2) Thank Mr. Cheng-chang Chiu, the Chief of Luzhou Service Center, Taiwan Power Company for guiding us to learn the knowledge related to electromagnetic wave as well as the opinions of electrical towers and transformer station. (3) Thank Class Tutor Teacher Chiu-yun Chi, Teacher Yi-chuan Tsai, Teacher Te-chang Sun, Teacher Po-ju Hou, Teacher Feng-chin Tsai, and Teacher Chin-tsai Li for their coordination with this Cyberfair project, thus students can use the morning self-study class and lunch break time to complete this Cyberfair project. (4) Thank Principal Chun-sheng Chen of Lu Jiang Elementary School for his support and encouragement of this research, Director Li-chen Lu, Supervisor Ming-gui Tsai and other teachers for their help to deal with many administrative affairs and solve with the information problems. We also would like to thank all the teachers and students of Lu Jiang Elementary School and other administrative groups for their support and help in all the activities.
5) Discoveries, Lessons and Surprises (Optional)
(1) Our biggest discovery: the network is inundated with various information including the comments and opinions of experts and scholars and unverified rumors. As for the opinions of electromagnetic wave, some people hold that electromagnetic wave conforms to the standards and it is safe, while some people hold that it may cause cancer and should be prevented. At the very start, we feel doubtful for these diversified ideas and we don’t know who should be believed. However, the collected data and interview results gradually make us clarify the concepts and build up our own opinions of electromagnetic wave. (2) Our biggest lesson: the biggest difficulty we meet in this Cyberfair project is the research direction to be planned. At the beginning, we intend to begin with the transformer station protest event in Luzhou, we find that we cannot merely pursue the previous news footprint and we should also research the related issues. When we begin to think about and explore the thoughts, we find that it is a very extensive issue ranging from electrical towers, transformer stations, electromagnetic wave, extremely low frequency electromagnetic wave, radio frequency electromagnetic wave, etc. The contents in each theme can be deep and extensive. After several discussions, we can confirm our research direction. Besides, many of our team members usually participate in the activities of other associations and our assembly will be affected by the routine contests in these associations even if we have communicated and discussed the assembly time in advance. Therefore, the contacts between classmates are very important and they should take an active part in the activities to keep pace with the progress of Cyberfair project activities. (3) Our biggest surprise: in the past, we thought that electrical towers and utility box must be the facilities affecting physical health. Mobile phone and base station will also make us suffer from cancer.