1. Description of Our Community
Mr. Jen-wen Wang who lives in Taichung City has been an art teacher. Since he could not bear the fact that habitats of birds were destroyed and the birds were endangered, he started promoting ecological conservation. Up to now, the successful cases of conservation have been numerous! In these years, Mr. Jen-wen Wang has never stopped the efforts on ecology; when he participated in the exhibitions around the world, he always explained the significance to the public. In addition, from the first Ying Yang Ba Gua to the present, the teacher always presented his works on site and his creation was transformed into large-scale installation art such as bronze ware or mosaic mural to increase more participants!
2. Summary of Our Project
Everyone says ecological conservation is important; however, it lacks actual action. Mr. Jen-wen Wang intended to demonstrate that conservation of birds can be simple. He connected paper relief, paper cut and even free pour with conservation. When paper reliefs are exhibited in different places, in particular, the vivid works drew everyone’s attention. He has never been absent in annual Ying Yang Ba Gua in order to protect the wild birds. “I am moved by the explanation and it results in actions.” By the teachers’ works exhibited in school and his role as the guide, we profoundly realize his strong intention to promote conservation of birds. By this Cyberfair project, we aim to absorb the mental process to conserve the birds.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:2-3
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
* School: There are 3 computer laboratories in school (one is exclusive for teachers), including 63 computers provided for students. The school is installed with 100M optical fiber network. By Windows Local Area Network, we place the data on network server host of local campus for further discussion. * Home: Every member has computer and network at home. We discuss by e-mail and Facebook and subsequently transmit the data discussed and afterthoughts to the members and teachers by e-mail for integration and revision.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
The problems that we have met: 1. Photography: (1) There was reflect light. (2) It’s hard to find a right time to take a picture. 2. Questions for interviewing Mr. Wang. 3. Lack of time in common The solutions to these problems: 1. Improve our photography skills. 2. Ask our Chinese teacher for help. 3. Manage meetings at noon or in winter vacation.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
In order to make paper cut, Mr. Jen-wen Wang did not concern about the time passed and he only intended to protect the endangered birds. We realized that the teacher contributed all his love to birds and was selfless. From the teacher, we not only learned the technique of paper cut, but also conveyed his significance of conservation to more people. In the process of project making, we have learned the importance of “team work”. It was nearly impossible to accomplish the project only by one person. We divided the work and discussed with each other. After continuous revision, we obtained an excellent project! Although it might not be always satisfying in the process, the relationship among the peers was reinforced. With the teacher’s instruction, parents’ assistance and classmates’ efforts, we were benefited significantly.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
* Nature and life technology: by understanding the characteristics of creatures and current situation of conservation, we reflected on the responsibility to care about the creatures. * Arts and humanities subject: By practices, we learned more paper cut skills and art design techniques. * Language: from the process of interview, we learned the capacity of expression and realized how to coordinate and select information to edit content of web page; afterthoughts and expression of personal thoughts and ideas. * Comprehensive activities: In the interview, we cultivated the competence of communication; team work, learning to be unified; learning activity planning, self-reflection and competence to develop potential. * Information and life technology subject: learning web page design and making and the competence to use online resources, image processing and web page editing.