1. Description of Our Community
Liu Yuan Church was built in 1916, but was called East Dadun in 1898, when People began to preach on the soil hut. Not until 1947 was it renamed Liu Yuan Church. Characterized by Gothic architecture and Chinese decoration, Liu Yuan Church was honored as one of the ten must-sees of Taichung City and was recognized as the historic building in 2002. From then on it began to be protected and preserved officially.
2. Summary of Our Project
Christianity is one of the most popular religions in the world, Taiwan with diverse cultures owns many distinguished and historical churches. Liu Yuan Church is one of the oldest Presbyterian churches in Taichung region. It also fuses Chinese and Western culture together. Therefore, we hope to know the Presbyterian church and understand Taiwan's culture more from the research.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
Besides using school’s computer and fiber optic network to discuss and collect information about this project during elective course, we also use communication software, such as LINE and Messenger to communicate with each other.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
(1) Communication: we gear up to share works and personally consult professional people concerned. (2) Information collection: The search and collection of data are mainly based on network, so when interviewing the professionals, we need to make sure the reliability of the information. (3) Web page making:Although there were some problems of uneven distribution of task loading and other issues during the web page production process, through mutual assistance between peers, the problems were eventually solved.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
Through this project, we walked into the historic church, understanding more about the Presbyterian church and having an new idea on what Taiwan looked like.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
Since 1836, the Presbyterian Church has been devoted to medical care, education and charity in Taiwan, and Liu Yuan church in Taichung (meaning Middle Taiwan), where our school is located, has made significant and fundamental influence on our city. This year is the 100th anniversary of the historic building, one of the most beautiful churches in our country. Therefore, we think this year is a memorable year for us to make a thorough research for the building and the dedications of the Christians in the church have made to our city.
Actually, many people have a negative impression toward Christians, viewing them as intruders and aliens who came to our island just to gain benefit for western super powers. However, so many constructions and improvement have been made through their sacrifice and effort in the past century. Hopefully, via our effort, more people can know better the touching history of the Presbyterian Church and cherish the building as well as their love more.
To achieve the goal, our school combines the course of history, language and computer science to work on this International Schools CyberFair project. And undoubtedly, both the students and our community gain a brand insight towardLiu Yuan church. To attend the CyberFairevent is definitely a worthwhile journey to us.