1. Description of Our Community
Our hometown Fusing Township, is located at Siyu of Changhua County, being a typically coastal flat terrain that is long in the east-west direction and narrow in the north-south direction. Since it is close to Tainan and Lukang Township, the daily living services of Fusing Township and business exchange are basically provided by the urban areas of Lukang Township. Fubao Village, the most westerly seaside village in the township, has become a wasteland because of the serious salinization of farmland due to the seawater intrusion caused by the land subsidence. Ten years ago, the Fubao Wetland Ecological Park Plan was initiated driven by the conservation community and the local people, intending to develop the bird conservation into an in-depth regional tourism in combination with the local agriculture industry, animal husbandry and dairy farming. With the existing bird watching cabins and platforms, rich waterfowl ecology and frequent and spectacular swarming scene of water birds, Fubao Wetland is a place of waterfowl observation frequented by the bird-watching enthusiasts in the central region.
2. Summary of Our Project
There is a vast coastal land in Fusing Township, Changhua County to be the migratory birds’ rest station as time passes due to long-term fallowness. To protect the migratory birds further, Mr. Sheng-chieh Nien, etc raised several millions to rent this vast land (with a rental period of 10 years) and established the bird-appreciation platform for bird lovers to appreciate the birds without interfering with them. Now Fubao Wetland has become the paradise of migratory bird. Many migratory birds come here for winter stay, especially the himantopus, thus this place became the best choice for bird lovers. Touched by the stories of Mr. Sheng-chieh Nien on bird conservation, teachers and students in Rixin Elementary School expect to protect this land with more people to provide a safe inhabitance for migratory birds. The school led teachers and students in the school to know about Fubao Wetland through preservation courses, and enabled more people to know about and have an understanding on Fubao Wetland based on subject talk, preservation of community environment, movies (Beyond Beauty: Taiwan from Above) and interviewing relevant environment-protection personnel, thus to motivate more environment protection personnel to protect our Fubao Wetland. We expected that 10 year is just a start point. Wish the beautiful ecological birds to survive in this beautiful wetland with our care and love.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:1
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:1
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
(1)It is so difficult for data summary. Over the half year, we have conducted interviews and field visits for several times thus accumulated too many interview transcripts, records, photos and media archives. It’s very hard for us to gather all these data, make into ppt presentations and concentrate into essential webpage. We are frustrated about how to select data, delete the unnecessary items, compile into most important words and decide the photos to be used. Fortunately, after the team members’ discussion, we finished the products to be presented. (2)The biggest problem in this activity is the color paint on fence. Since it’s our first attempt, we suffered terribly during the process of rendering, e.g. the whole body tainted by paint and uneven primer due to poor technology. At the second time, we wear raincoats and gloves. However, we can’t mix the proper color, which consumes a lot of paint and a lot of time. Fortunately, under the teachers’ guidance, we mix the color smoothly and finish our fence work. It is although painstaking but brings about excellent experience.
(3)Another big problem is the far distance between the school and Fubao Wetland, which is about 9km and 20min drive. It requires long-term fatigue for each interview or observation. On the other hand, the president, director and teachers all support our Cyberfair project and always drive us to the destination never complaining painstaking. Many thanks to the teachers’ supports to this research.
(4)It’s also important for photographing. When select the photos, we find out that the photos are either with tiny important points, or poor light or sheltered important items, which can’t be used. It taught us that we shall think about the objects to be presented, the subject of scenery and the focus point to avoid useless photos.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
Previously, we only enjoy the sceneries and novel things when hanging out with our parents. However, after this visit to Fubao Wetland, we know the difficulties and stories in establishment and operation of Fubao Wetland, the living beings existing in Fubao Wetland and their lovely and beautiful stories. Afterwards, in extracurricular activities or hanging out with parents, we will treat every beautiful thing from a completely different point of view, since we believe each of them with a beautiful and special story.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
(1) We learned the habits, characteristics, surroundings and all background knowledge about water birds during the process of exploration, observation and data searching profoundly and meaningfully.
(2) It is our first contact with the ecological environment and all animals, plants, bentonic organisms in the wetland, which are special and interesting to us. Both dependency relations and food chain relations among all living beings in the wetland ecosystem surprised us greatly.
(3) We can learn and practice the apparatuses to be prepared and attentions to be paid during bird appreciation.
(4) To love the animals and plants and protect the natural environment are the most important action experiences learnt by us in this Cyberfair project, which make us to love and cherish our ecological environment on earth. (5) This research helps us to know about the industries in our hometown from the relationship between human beings and hometown.
(6) Common people in the community will be naturally and likely acquainted with water bird in Fubao Wetland and have more opportunities to protect environment and water birds through the signing-up activities for wetland protection; this is so great. (7) We work cooperatively as a team, coordinate with each other, resolve the contradictions and achieve our goals under continuous running in and mutual assistance.