1. Description of Our Community
The rural school children's palace in Yuzhong County Qingshui Yi Junior Middle School was built in March 2013, is a set of learning, entertainment, sports, fitness for the integration of rural school learning center. The children's palace provides a broad development for rural left-behind children. The children can read, surfing on the internet, chess, labor practice, exploring technology, calligraphy and painting, aerobics training and other activities in extracurricular time, weekends, vacations, enrich the rural children's amateur life, it plays an important role in improving the rural left behind children especially the scientific culture quality of rural youth, helping the children growing healthy.
2. Summary of Our Project
We began to plan our participation in the web page competition on October 16. We have successfully got the access to the competition under the guidance of teacher Zhang Yinghua. Then we began to collect materials and information. After a month of preparation, we began to upload the web pages with the help of administration teachers and got all things done before November 15. There were many hardships along the way, but as we see that children’s life and learn in rural area are valued by society at large. Li Chen herself is a left-behind child. She is familiar with children’s palace and gets the benefits of the place.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:less than 20
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:4-6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:4-6
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
1. Time limitation. We are all students in Grade Eight or Seven with heavy study task. Except for school time, we couldn’t get more pare time to make web pages, so we had to make interviews and web pages in the evening or our spare time. 2. Internet limitation. Owing to slow network speed and limited computers as well as the fact that our teachers should sometimes work on those computers, we just had little chance to get access to the Internet. We should make use of all the possible time to use computers when they were unoccupied. In this way, difficulties had been settled to some extent. 3. Difficulties in using computers. Since the students involved in the competition all came from countryside and did not know much about the Internet, our school master specially invited computer teacher and guidance teachers to train us and give us advice.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
Over the period of time, we have gained a lot. We have got improvement not only in our knowledge but in our visions. In addition to some computer knowledge, web page making techniques and interview skills, we has also learned the hostile environment in western arid areas and the hard life of people there, as well as the love and help offered by the society for Jianying Village. It is really true that love is eternal.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
Our research on “Children's palace” has involved not only art, computer and social communication, but also the teaching of our school. Through making web pages, we have learned how to use computers, process pictures and input text faster. Moreover, that we have realized to care and help children in rural area are bounden duties of us young people. Love is a kind of duty as well, and the world will be ruthless without it. Teachers have told us in class to pass the love down to our descendants, thus making every people grow up in the sea of love. Through investigations and interviews, we have felt the great power of love.