1. Description of Our Community
Our project is to introduce the volunteers devoting themselves to help our children in using library and the reading education at school. Our school is located in Taipei city. Established in 1936, it’s a school with splendid history. It is a school owns a variety of volunteer teams due to the enthusiastic parent and community residents. The Library volunteer team is one of them.
2. Summary of Our Project
We'd like to analyze the development and difficulties confronting the volunteers. Besides the volunteers, we also surveyed the children and teachers in order to fully understand the members at our school and in our community. Through this project, we hope our children can understand the volunteers more, to have better manners in the library, and to even to love reading and using the libraries.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:4-6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
1. Most of the library volunteers eon't be in service at the same time, it’s difficult to interview every one of them. Therefore, for those volunteers who are the parents of our school children, we had the children bring the questionnaire home to interview their parents. As for the volunteers from the community, we directly interviewed them at our school’s library. 2. Our students are from fifth or sixth grade. However, their writing skills still need to be improved. What we did is ask our students to revise their writing over and give them some tips of writing and doing interviews. Eventually, they have made great progress in the project. 3. We surveyed the third and fifth graders this time. We hope to expand our project after the students have learnt more about volunteers. We planned to survey more students from different grades.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
Reading is fun. What is even better is some enthusiastic people help us use the library at school. So, we should have good library manners and enjoy reading in the library more!
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
1. In the process of our project, we applied what we learned from different areas. Doing the interviews, we need the skills from Mandarin class. We know how to process and analyze the data by the knowledge we learned in math class. We know our society’s situation and the volunteers from social science class. In computer class, we learned how to search the information on the Internet and how to build our web pages with computers. 2. “It’s happier to give than to take,” goes an old Chinese saying. And being volunteers is the best example of it. We tried to connect this concept with different areas of learning, such as the social science class, the life curriculum, and so on.