1. Description of Our Community
Fu Yu Gong (Earth God Temple) was build in 1884. It’s one hundred and thirty years old now. Fu Yu Gong located at 133, lane 53, Wenli North Road along Huang Xi River bank in Beitou Disctrict . Local residents call Ruan Qiao Fu Yu Gong. Ruan Qiao (soft bridge) is a region of Jianming Neighborhood, it was called Shipai Zhuang in Ching Dynasty.
2. Summary of Our Project
Fu Yu Gong located in Jianming Neighborhood also called Ruan Qiao (now is Shipai Bridge). We started to study the geography and history development of this temple. Fu Yu Gong had to move to new place due to the establishment of Shilin Beitou technology park. The villagers who used to lived behind the temple had to move to new places, too. Our project is to show what was going on when the temple was torn down and removed to new place. We are thankful for the big help and support from the locals and head of neighborhood Mr. Huang. They had shared most valuable pictures of temple made change and also the religional activities, these are the new knowledge which we will never have from school text books.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
Our survey shows that 90% of student population of about 2047 use internet at home. There are 2 computer classrooms in school, total of 70 computers for our students to use. School network connection speed of a T1 line.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
Data collection: Fu Yu Temple was not lised in the national historical site, therefore it’s not easy to find information from internet. We had to interview the senior locals to get related information. Our teachers guided us to visit the committee members of Fu Yu temple and head of neighborhood, so we could complete our project with many valuable pictures which we clicked during many of the interviews.
Interview and preparation: Although we love to do the interview and research, but most of our kids couldn't make time to meet often. Therefore we had good use of our time for each meeting. We tried our best to collect all information before the meetings so we could have sufficient discussion and everyone did a good job.
Edit and plan: As our project is about temple and god, we were very careful to note the new knowledge at the interviews and asked our teacher to help corrections when needed.
Web page design: After we completed the datas collection with nothing missing, we started to design our web page. We had problem aligning the pictures and wordings. Teacher Zhong provided us technical help. We had many pictures but limited space in the web site, our teacher taught us to reduce the size of the pictures so we can share the precious photos on our web page.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
Religion give commitment of spirit and temples are important cultural preservation. People often have many excuses to make new building, establish industrial parks but to tear down and move the old temples. They don’t realize how difficult to preserve the culture and art which already existed for hundred years. When I witnessed the temple was torn down I felt like a page was torn from history book. And I don’t like a missing page, so we are recording our own history.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
(1) The social study: Seventh grade first semester textbook unit six “Community Life”, Ruan Qiao Fu Yu Gong consistent with the patterns of early agricultural life of the village community. As dismantling of rural community of Ruan Qiao village is about to be replaced by public housing which is pattern of urban communities. Geography: Seventh grade second semester textbook -Taiwan cultural environment and regional development, unit one “Population” and unit four “Community and Traffic”.
(2) Art: Seventh grade second semester- “Looking for Poems- Temples”, sculpture practice. Roofs and walls of the temple are filled with legends and stories, to understand how the story background is related to the characters.