1. Description of Our Community
Our school is located in Chungcheng District, Taipei Bo-ai District, close to the presidential palace and official residence. It is the only elementary school of the ancient Taipei City, and is also a university affiliated experimental elementary school responsible for the mission of nurturing and educating the national seedlings. Our community environment characteristics are: (1) Special geographical environment: Located in the political, economic, cultural and educational hub. Convenient traffic, human and cultural characteristics, characteristic streets surrounding the area, the special environment became the source of teacher’s teaching materials which is conducive to the development of specialized courses. (2) Abundant community resources: School education is incorporated into a community rich in resources and planned for special courses. Not only in order to be active, but closely linked to the community, embracing the community, but also develops the community and is the cultural inheritor.
2. Summary of Our Project
The Lo-Sheng Sanatorium used to be an isolation facility where leprosy patients were segregated from the rest of the world. Leprosy results in patients’ deformed bodies, lack of mobility, and inerasable harm to their mind due to other people’s long-standing misconceptions and discrimination. As a result of relevant policies and the public’s deep-rooted misconceptions and discrimination, residents at the sanatorium have become unable to return to the society and instead regard the sanatorium as their home. Nevertheless, when faced with enforced evacuation from their home in order to make room for the construction of a Metro Rapid Transit maintenance depot, they bravely established the Lo-Sheng Self-help Association and the Happy Lo-Sheng Alliance, standing up to defend their rights to life with their soul behind their frail bodies.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dial-up modem
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
1. Overcome people’s misconceptions and fear of leprosy 2. Liaise with and enlist the assistance of the Happy Lo-Sheng Alliance and to get hold of Lo-Sheng Sanatorium residents as those residents were hard to be reached. 3. Given the scattered and incomplete data for international exchange provided by the Lo-Sheng Self-help Association, we recollected and re-arranged data by soliciting assistance of the Happy Lo-Sheng Alliance members and had direct interviews with sanatorium residents who had international exchange experience. 4. Organizing group training was never easy due to the divergent time of group rallies. Therefore, we stayed at school on Wednesday afternoon for data collection and group discussions.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
• We were ignorant of the meaning behind any news coverage of the Lo-Sheng Sanatorium when we were little. As 12-year old children now, we have slowly become aware of those disadvantaged groups in the society and have grown curious about them. Therefore, we would like to use the case of Lo-Sheng Sanatorium, which is related to human rights and disadvantaged groups, to introduce the elders’ human rights and residency rights in the hope that the public can have more respect for the elders. • We recorded results of our studies and details of our services and experience in writing. In doing so, we hoped that more people could know stories about the Lo-Sheng Sanatorium and more people could pay attention to issues of human rights.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
Our case studies can enhance students' ten basic abilities in the Grace 1-9 Curriculums. 1.Understanding and development of potential: In the process of implementing the writing and website production, allow the children to understand their own expertise and express their potential through interaction and cooperation between the teams. Develop an appreciation for others and their own performance. 2.Expressing, communication, and sharing; respect, care, and teamwork: In the research project, the team members communicate each other's thoughts at all times, sharing different points of view, and divide up team work according to each person's expertise. This exhibits a cooperative spirit in completing this research project. 3.Planning Organization and implementation: Through the web-based idea, prepared interview outline and actual interviews. Develop the children’s planning and organizational skills, and using actual street interview to raise the children’s program implementation capacity. 4. Use of technology and information: Using internet to search for outstanding women related information. Use various computer softwares to edit images, upload data, and create web pages. 5.Take the initiative to explore and research; Independent thinking and problem-solving: During the web site production process of this research project, we encourage the children to discover answers to research problems in daily life. Reflect on their own performance in each activity and raise their own problem solving abilities.