1. Description of Our Community
Our school is located in the district of the ancient city in BanChiao. There are many monuments and temples. We want to study the history from the monuments, and explore any significance. The Lin family privately funded in an expansion way on Fangciao Elementary school( the former name of the BanChiao Elementary School), which was built during the Japanese colonial period. At the same time, they erected a monument to commemorate. By investigating Daguan Charity School and Fangciao School Monument to discover the history of that era and depict the learning pathway.
2. Summary of Our Project
Daguan Charity School , built in 1863, flourished learning in BanChiao. During the Japanese colonial era, Free Schools gradually be eradicated by Japanese, They founded Fangciao Elementary schools instead. Pupils first studied in the Daguan Charity School, and later they migrated to the Fangciao Elementary School for further study. The foundation of the Fangciao Elementary School contrubuted to the donations of the Lin family,so the whole procedure was monumentalized. We want to investigate these two historic sites to further explore the meaning of thess events.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:21-50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:1
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
Study time: Difficulty: This was our first time participating in cyber exposition, so we felt very unfamiliar. We could only use lunch break and holidays to do the study. We did not have faith in the beginning and think we might not complete the work. How to overcome: Ms. Tzeng discussed with us and made a schedule. We surprisingly found out that we have gained plenty more time. When you were enthusiastic in something, you would manage to complete it no matter how busy you were. History knowledge: Difficulty: We did not know a lot of things about these two historical sites. The history knowledge was an important subject that we faced. How to overcome: We locked on related website and gained many references. We also consult our history teacher to have more related knowledge. Reading and sorting: We used the mental mind analysis instructed by Ms. Lee to have a clearer study framework. Web page technology: Difficulty: After seeing the excellent works from the past few years, we felt very confused and nervous. We asked our teacher about the web page editing questions. How to overcome: Ms. Dai taught us how to use Artisteer software, which could edit the web pages quickly, and solved the problem.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
In the study process, we did actual field survey together and think together. That was an unforgettable feeling. During the interview, the English teacher said that there were no walls in The Lin Family Mansion and Garden, which was surprising. The history teacher introduced many books and photos introducing Banciao City. We learned many from them. Through Ms. Dai’s instruction, our web page looked very professional. In the process we realized that the fruit of success needed to be cultivated by everyone.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
1. Social study and general study: This study was the practice combining the knowledge in social study and the work field in general study. In the activity, we understood the district history by visiting the historical sites. We also interviewed related people. 2. Information and language: In this study, we enhanced the ability in searching information and learned to look for information from the key words. We found a lot more information. 3. Reading training: We used the W thinking method instructed by the teacher to read and sort out the sequences of the information. We also thought about the contribution that the Lins has made in this local moving event.