1. Description of Our Community
1. Background of Nanguo Elementary School Nanguo Elementary School was founded over 90 years ago during the Japanese Occupation Period. Located in Changhua City, Changhua County, the school is surrounded by government agencies, colleges and universities and medical institutions. Nanguo Elementary School has a tradition of simplicity and honesty, as well as a philosophy of innovations and diversity. We interact frequently with community residents and neighboring schools so that we are endowed with extensive community resources and diversified human resources. We therefore want to identify a research topic from our community life.
2. About Lukang 'Tainan as number one city, followed by Lukang and Monga': in early history of Taiwan, Lukang played significant role. In Lukang Township of modern time, the ancestors’ past lives are demonstrated by rich historic relics and the prominent craftsmen show the beauty of traditional art. Through lantern festival in Lukang, we appreciate the works and spirit of the lantern masters in Lukang, recognize the passion and toughness of residents in Lukang and approach the unfading historic relics and new lives in Lukang.
2. Summary of Our Project
The activity allows us to learn the origin of Taiwan Lantern Festival and planning process. By the interview, we recognize the internal planning and work division in lantern festival and learn the procedure of public bidding held by the government. We reorganize the key points of lantern festival, interview the teachers and students to make the lanterns and learn the methods, process and key points to produce the lanterns as well as the points for attention. By distributing the questionnaires, we realize the difference to sell different products and the business opportunities perceived by the stores in Taiwan Lantern Festival. We make the environmental lanterns, carry lanterns in Dingfan, collect the related pictures in lantern festival and reorganize the introduction related to the festival.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:less than 20
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:4-6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
1.There are few data related to “Taiwan Lantern Festival”. Solutions: When searching for the information, we do not necessarily use the term “Taiwan Lantern Festival” and the key words such as “lantern” or “Lantern Festival” can be used in order to acquire varied and rich data. 2.We are sometimes refused in questionnaire distribution. Solutions: (1) We distribute the questionnaires at the proper time. (2) In the chain stores, it is easier to ask the chiefs since the employees are busy with the work. 3.It is not easy to reorganize the great amount of data. Solutions: (1) We listen to the sound recording or videos repeatedly. (2) We discuss with the members to find the common method or explanation. 4.It is not easy to produce the environmental lanterns which are both environmental and beautiful. Solutions: (1) Learning from others’ works. (2) Trying the works, remaking the failed ones and beautifying the successful ones.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
In the Cyberfair project, we share the research findings with others. Through the activity, we realize that before the research, we should establish the research framework, collect related information and reorganize the data efficiently and precisely. In order to acquire varied and rich information, we must turn our questions into the questionnaire and interview the workers related to lantern festival; we demonstrate the opinions suggested by the stores regarding the lantern festival in the questionnaire. In the process, we should learn to design the questionnaire and be careful about the wording. From the beginning to the end of the activity, we learn rich skills and knowledge. We hope that the visitors can learn lantern festival in Taiwan through our homepage and experience the beauty of Lukang. Finally, we invite everyone to visit Changhua and recognize the beauty of Taiwan by following our steps.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
Language 1. Rationally communicate with others when they have different opinions. 2. Use the language with precise terms, definite meanings, concrete content and specific topics. 3. Write down the people and things in the surrounding by short articles. Mathematics 1. Calculate and distribute the percentages to decide the number of questionnaires distributed. 2. Learn descriptive statistics and use the appropriate statistical chart according to statistical data. Society 1. Measure the distance, read the map and draw simple map by symbols. 2. Realize that the formation of the villages is to meet the human beings’ needs of group life. 3. Realize the regional difference of the types of living space. 4. Learn the history of human environment and economic activities of the residential place. 5. Learn the historic relics or discovery in the residential place and appreciate the beauty of local custom. 6. Share the similarity and difference between our opinions and those of other individuals, groups and media. 7. Fulfill the rights and obligation in the individual groups. Art and humanity 1. Participate in art creation and record the acquired knowledge, characteristics of techniques and feelings by personal symbols. 2. Try to have art creation by work division, planning and cooperation with the classmates. 3. Collect the artistic data related to local relics, traditional art and living art and try to explain the characteristics and background. General activities 1. Learn to cooperate and help each other in the group to have efficient activity. 2. In group activity, we learn to express ourselves and communicate with others properly. Information education 1. Learn the basic knowledge and skills of information and internet technology. 2. Expand and accumulate the experience of using varied kinds of information equipment.