1. Description of Our Community
This memorial hall is around 15 minutes away on foot from the Taipei Municipal Ren Ai Junior High School. Its parking space is always full on workdays or holidays because of many visitors. For our students, it is neither a place for sight-seeing nor a big building around their homes and school. They built a website to present its uniqueness to people and this sight-seeing resource became more attractive.
2. Summary of Our Project
We want to make more people know this memorial hall is a great sight-seeing resource in Taipei. It has many exhibitions in each floor and wonderful landscapes around it. Visitors can know better about the history of Dr. Sun Yatsen and the revolution for the birth of the Republic of China. We hope more people are interested in knowing further about this memorial hall.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:none
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:4-6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
There are 4 computer classrooms in our school and we use optical fiber network. When we browse internet for information to study and prepare our research program, we use notebook computers. At home, teachers and students access internet through ADSL and exchange e-mail. They also accessed the website of the memorial hall to book the time and place of visit. All of them use internet to search for related information and send their study results to the teachers via e-mail. We use internet and computers at school and home to finish our program.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
1. Time of visit:We planed to visit the memorial hall in April, 2011 at first, but the teacher of our team members did not agree, then we cancelled it. Before our visit, we found there were so many visitors on holidays that we could not enter the first floor of the memorial hall, so we decided to postpone our first visit to August in summer vacation. Later, we also did some interviews with the visitors at the memorial hall on holidays.
2. Too many data to understand:There are many places to see and information to study in the memorial hall. When our students were reading the history of Dr. Sun, they found some data too difficult to understand, but they still did their best to read and present them in our website in a systematic way because this website is done through the eyes of junior high school students. Dr. Sun said “It is easier to do than know”. Our students experienced it this time.
3. Involvement of each team member:It takes a long time to do this research because there are many challenges. The involvement and eagerness of each team member is closely related to the success of this research. We can tell how much our students are involved in this research from the contents they showed to us. Finally, this website is completed with the efforts of the whole team.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
1.“Process is more important than results”: This research program is difficult for students and it took them a lot of time to finish it without knowing if they could make it or not. Working hard without caring about the result is the attitude for them to overcome the difficulties when working on this website in this program. 2.“Seize the time and put into action”: It is easier to do than know; our students realized its meaning in this research program. They got the important learning experiences in this program and complete this website with their actions in such a short time. 3.“Stick to the end; never give up”: Students worked hard to collect information related to this website until the last minute. They never gave up and showed their patience and determination. At the same time, they were calm at results. They treat the process of research as a precious learning experience for themselves.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
The National Dr. Sun Yatsen Memorial Hall is located on Ren Ai Road in Taipei City, Taiwan. It is a landmark in Taipei for tourists so crowed with tourist buses all the time. In this program, we studied the whole memorial hall through the eyes of junior high school students. We wanted to find out more delicate sites there and introduce all of the resources it has to tourists.