1) What information tools & technologies did you used to complete your CyberFair project?
The simple notebook used by the research team 1. Number of the simple notebooks: 5 (two members share one computer)
2. The portability of simple notebooks enables students to immediately discuss and record what they have learnt during the visit and preserve the learning effects faithfully and instantly.
3. The use of school notebook enables the student to surf the internet via wireless broadband and use the 3.5 G wireless NIC distributed by the country government to look up information and send e-mails online anytime, anywhere.
The well equipped computer classroom The equipments in the computer classroom:
1. Desktop computers which can connect to optical fiber internet.
2. Digital graphics boards.
3. Educational video equipments.
4. Wireless internet equipments.
The equipments in the e-classroom:
1. Laptops which can connect to wireless internet
2. Digital graphics boards
3. Multimedia educational projector and video equipments
4. Wireless internet equipments
5. Electronic white-board wireless pointer
6. Wireless projector and video system
Digital environment- wireless broadband campus
The introduction of our wireless broadband campus environment:
1. The number of wireless routers: 5
2. The average distance of each wireless router is around 50 meters and three routers alone can completely cover the distance of all the classrooms and outdoor environment in our school.
3. The laptops in our school can connect to wireless broadband internet.
Digital Hard Disc Video Camera
1. The record of the discussion of team members and the visits to relevant organizations and authorities can be digitally recorded by the digital camera.
2. Recoding the contents of interviews with the bigwigs (e.g. President Sung-chu Tseng of Merida, and Magistrate Po-yuan Cho of Changhua County) to facilitate the production of interview transcripts and editing of the research website.
2) In what ways did you act as "ambassadors" and spokespersons for your CyberFair project both on-line and in person.
The question of 'When can we have the chance of roaring on the bike path?' inspired the students’ motivation to visit the neighbor of WunDe Elementary School - Roaming 139-Bicycle Green Map for Changhua County Road No. 139. We determined our project theme, as well as the research structure. Under the trend of energy saving, carbon reduction, and environment protection, WunDe Bicycle Exploration Team fulfilled Merida’s slogan “Roaming 139-Bicycle Green Map for Changhua County Road No. 139”, and promoted the healthy, energetic, and environmental friendly exercise – biking. In order to grasp the meaning of “Roaming 139-Bicycle Green Map for Changhua County Road No. 139”, the team participated the Weekend Biking Team and Merida Cup & Bike Festival 2009 at Bagua Mt. with the discounted Merida bikes and full sets of accessories. Led by our teachers, WunDe Bicycle Exploration Team participated in the Weekend Biking Tour and the Merida Cup & Bike Festival 2009 at Bagua Mt. The team explored the beautiful sceneries of Bagua Mt. By sharing our experiences, we hope that more people could enjoy the nature and improve health and by biking, which would in turn, promote the development of local business. Whenever WunDe Bicycle Exploration Team went, their brand new Merida bike equipment and uniforms have always drawn much attention. As global warming deteriorates, the trend of energy saving and carbon reduction becomes increasingly important. WunDe Bicycle Exploration Team aims to introduce the most environmental friendly and energetic way to be the ambassador to present the value of biking.
3) What has been the impact of your project on your community?
WunDe 139 Bicycle Exploration Team went on a series of activities to realize the concept of “Roaming 139-Bicycle Green Map for Changhua County Road No. 139”. Through the tour on County Road 139, we present the diverse culture and beautiful scenery of Bagua Mt. We welcome more people to enjoy nature and improve health, while promote the development of local business. The community residents, student parents, and the public, as they are drawn by the new bikes and accessories of WunDe Bicycle Exploration Team, will give more concern to the influences of biking recreation. The participation of Merida Industry Co. and the Changhua County Government in the research project has enhanced students’ concern about biking. President Tseng of Merida mentioned that as a local business, Merida works the best to benefit the locality, such as by sponsoring and encouraging the students engaging in biking, environmental protection, exercise, and health promotion. Magistrate Po-yuan Cho also said that “Both the bicycle industry and biking recreation are our targets. Changhua now has the longest bike path in Taiwan - 263 km long, as well as a leading bicycle industry. We are now planning to build a bicycle theme park, which first phase has been completed in Bagua Mt.” The team has a unique contribution to the biking recreation.
4) How did your project involve other members of your community as helpers and volunteers?
The project did involve some members of our community as volunteers who provide valuable information and support including
1. Provided written and digital data of the Road 139.
2 Trained the WunDe Bicycle Exploration Team to ride the bicycle.
3. Provided seminars for Seed bicycle teachers.
4. Described Merida’s spirit of enterprise, its management, and its marketing schemes.
5.Promoted the Chunghua County Bicycle Activities and recreation and tourism planning relative to County Road No.139
6. Explained the origin, the purpose and the making methods of the Green Map.
7. Personally arranged a tour at the currently completed but yet to be open to the public National Education Radio Changhua Substation Data Center
8. Gave an ecological introduction on the grey-faced buzzard and rare birds of Bagua Mt.
The members are Governor Po-Yuan Cho
General Manager Song-ju Tseng
Ms. Wen-Chien Hsieh
Principle Jui-ju Chang
Coach Hsin-Cheng Hung
Station Manager Su-Yuan Huang
Director Shih-Chang Hung
Anchor Su-Chen Chiu
Secretary-General Ling Chang
5) Discoveries, Lessons and Surprises (Optional)
If it is not for the Cyberfair project, perhaps the students are still looking at the bikers passing by the school and village on the road side of County Road 139. Because of “Roaming 139-Bicycle Green Map for Changhua County Road No. 139”, we received new bikes and full accessories from Bicycle Green Map for the Road No. 139, and learned more about Bicycle Green Map for the Road No. 139 and the governmental policies on promoting biking recreation. The students rode bikes along the Road 139 with full enjoyment, which was a rich learning experiences. Like the principal said, “It is an experience good enough for a precious and beautiful memory.” Finding: The students and teachers together determined the theme of biking, explored the new possibilities, and found the essence of “Roaming 139-Bicycle Green Map for Changhua County Road No. 139”. Surprise: Surprisingly, to determine a subject was not so difficult. After forming the team, setting the interview contents, continually clarifying the students’ genuine questions, and summarizing the conclusion, the proposal was almost settled. Together, we completed the healthiest, most vital, and environmental friendly project The best lesson is that “There are risks and costs to a program of action. But they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable inaction.” The dream of “Roaming 139-Bicycle Green Map for Changhua County Road No. 139” has been realized in the joint efforts of the students and teachers. In the process, the society resources and the power of the public has been united to reach the goal. The team finished the project in their biking team. This was really that a great dream came true for the team as well as for the earth