1. Description of Our Community
Taiwan is a place full of rich multi-cultural atmosphere. Regional traditional arts affect people’s life significantly, but for those of us young people from northern Taiwan, how much we understand the local arts and culture? Sanchung City located at the west bank of Tamsui River, in the center of Taipei Basin and is very convenient in north-south transportation. It is near to the prosperous Wanhua and Tataocheng just across the water. Due to its excellent location, Sanchung City becomes Taiwan's largest city of migrants. In 1969, Mr. Shieh Dong Min, the governor at the time called for 'living-room factories,' a small factories sprang up between the roadway in the neighborhood, and gradually propped up half the sky of the industrial machinery parts. 'Black hands start from scratch', Sanchung City shines gradually and becomes the most spectacular pearl in Tamsui River. The 'Chieh Shou Plaza' which represents informative and modern fashion located at Sanchung City’s San Ho Road Section 3 and Long Men Road intersection. With coming and going of the crowd it always has an endless stream of great excitement. Taiwan’s only remaining hand-made ink factory - 'DU Company' hides behind Sanchong City across the alley of Chieh Shou Plaza. Due to the insistence and innovation of Master Chen Jia De gradually he laid the hand-ink the status of national treasure.
2. Summary of Our Project
Paper, pens, ink, ink stone are known as the 'four treasures.' The four stationeries accompany the growth of Chinese culture for thousands of years of history. Amongst them, the ink has made undeniable contributions to the development of Chinese culture, communication, as well as the promotion of world civilization, In history we have numerous well-known ink experts, leaving tens of thousands pieces of work. These are treasures of Chinese culture. The Northern Song Dynasty poet Li Qing Zhao’s father Li Ge Fei wrote 'Broken Ink Addiction' shown scholar’s obsession to the ink.
With the changing times, today, we use the stationery mainly for convenience, and mostly pen, ink, correction fluid, and pencil cases and other stationery are used. Long history of Chinese ink, however, follows rapidly changes with the times and progress, this unique traditional art of ink has been gradually dying out. Currently the only master of this traditional technique leaving is described as 'national treasures ink master' – Master Chen Jia De.
After finished primary school, Master Chen Jia De made a living from Chiayi to Taipei alone. He followed a mainland master to learn how to make inks. He was gradual interested in inks. He slowly learned bit by bit, and slowly accumulated experience, which laid the foundation of his master handmade ink work. Master Chen Jia De even won the tenth Global Culture Art Award in 2003!
DU Company’s development and evolution and Master Chen Jia De’s insistence on handmade ink, have shown the real Taiwanese spirit, so we hope to feature in this study, to have a in-depth understanding of the connotation of handmade ink, and to experience Master Chen Jia De’s insistence and innovation on traditional skills, so that the authentic traditional art skill will merge into the lives of the people of Taiwan, and flourish at home and abroad.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dial-up modem
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
School computer network environment: 10M optical network, wireless network system
Home computer network environment: ADSL Broadband Internet access
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
1. The technical aspects: In website there are lots of questions and tips that we do not understand and the use of it is not very skillful. We often have a feeling of not able to fully control it. When we have problems we will ask the instructor or seniors, and learn different technologies. 2. Time: In school and class we have many certification tests and we need a lot of time to practice. It is therefore, difficult to have more time to interview, collate information and so on ..... We all want to complete it together so we made use of holidays or after school hours to prepare or produce at home. 3. The co-operation: Web page requires team work to complete. It is inevitable to have disagreement when division of work or during discussion. Sometimes there was personal reason to delay the production of the entire web page. Teacher asked the captain clearly assign each team member a different work, and regular supervise team members’ progress and have timely discussion, so as to make the production more smoothly. 4. Data: The information search is actually very difficult. After collecting data, we still need to compile them. During the web page production we may face the problem of inadequate data. Members will divide work and make best efforts to find a variety of information, have the actual visit, or ask the interviewer to provide information. 5. The interviews: At the first interview there was a bit confused in how to record, film, visit ... and so on. These were very difficult for us. Before the interviews we must draw draft, think visit process, and before the interview know the details of the interview information so that we can control the content of the interview. 6. Experience: This is the first time we participate in such a national competition. Our mood was tense and excited, and we do not have any experience. We can only learn by doing, refer to seniors’ experience, and make best efforts to overcome difficulties. We make our web page even richer in content by listening to teachers and seniors’ opinions, watching more past completion records and making our skills more sophisticated.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
We found that there is still a silent group of people dedicating for artistic heritage, and these traditional arts industry’s rise and fall will affect our cultural heritage greatly. In the course of the special report, we understand the charm of traditional art that cannot be ignored. The special report made our team united together. Everybody divides work to complete the same goal. This study is a valuable experience.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
Network Production Applications: Learning to make our special web page and use the Internet to allow more people to share our web pages. Team division: Division of work among the team members and learn how to use personal strengths to assign each person's work, how to coordinate each people’s different ideas on the theme, and learn to get along among the team members is the most practical experience.
Data integration: data should be collected and complied for the main structure of the site.
Traditional art’s appreciation and attention: The traditional art is not only for us to enjoy, we should put emphasis on it. We should make it more vigorous in development. This is our tradition, and we should pay attention to its development. As same for any traditional art, we should hold an attitude of appreciation and attention.