1. Description of Our Community
Our school is located at the Chungcheng District, close to the Presidential Office Building and Residence.
2. Summary of Our Project
We established Design for Change (DfC) team by gathering students and teachers. DfC was first founded by Ms. Kiran Bir Sethi of Riverside School in India three years ago. All the children around the world have signed up for DfC by exercising their creativity. The first year of DfC in Taiwan was held in 2010. We hope to introduce DfC to everybody and summarize their development and creative initiatives.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
1.Difficulty in research scheduling: Cyberfair project members are from different classes in the fourth and fifth grades. It was not easy to work out a schedule for everybody. We discussed during school hours and did our writing by coming to the school over weekends and holidays. 2.Difficulty in summarizing interviews: The biggest challenge in the interviews with DfC was transcripts. We had to take note of everything. Sometimes there were no subtitles. Occasionally the judges did not speak clearly or did not speak Chinese. If they spoke too fast, we would miss the answers. We had problems getting the key points as a result of these issues. We did our best to meet the deadlines and resolved problems. 3.Difficulty in DfC initiatives: When involved in “LKK=Love Kids + Kids Love” project, I noticed that some old people were slow in movement and never played computer games. I took the time to go over game rules and taught them with patience. Eventually, the grandma I taught and other people in the church knew how to play computer games. The friendly and gentle smiles of their faces became our motivation, as well as the best feedback for us. Good morning team and the team dedicated to the blind people had to overcome psychological hurdles by promoting their ideas to other classes or the public. It was a daunting challenge for us!
5. Our Project Sound Bite
When we signed up for Cyberfair, we all thought it was going to be a difficult competition. However, I had great fun and learned a lot during the first day of training in the winter vacation. It was effortless because we all worked together. The teacher encouraged us to learn from the dedication of DfC in Taiwan when we encounter difficulties. He said that we performed very well in the DfC competition and I was so happy to hear that! I learned new skills, such as interviews, note-taking and summarizing data from my involvement in Cyberfair project. I also experienced the pleasure of team work. I wish we can achieve good results in the competition.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
1. Cultural learning & international understanding: Writing and campaign implementation of Cyberfair project can lead to an understanding of cultural characteristics and differences of different countries, and broaden the international horizon of children. 2. Appreciation, expression and innovation: Writing and campaign implementation of Cyberfair project can enable children to understand and develop their own potential. They can also learn to appreciate their own and other’s expression via the interaction and cooperation within the team.