1. Description of Our Community
Xisong Night School program is offered by Xisong Elementary School in Sonnchang District, Taipei, Taiwan. Initiated in 1978, there are over 150 students in the program presently. It is composed of the seniors and new immigrants from the neighborhood. They are here for learning, making friends and having fun.
2. Summary of Our Project
It is never too late to learn. In this project, we would like to introduce and discuss the night school education for the seniors who didn't have the opportunities to go to school when they were young in Taiwan and the new immigrants who want to adapt themselves into their second homeland here.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
First, although we have found plenty of information, sometimes it’s not easy to verify its reliability. We need to check over and over before we can really use it. Second, it is not as easy as we thought while doing the survey. We had been rejected a lot when looking for the interviewees. However, we realize if we can be more polite and sincere, things will go much more smoothly.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
It's never too late to learn! By this project, we hope every one can understand that learning is always fun no matter who and how old you are.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
1. Language Arts : The language ability is the most important subject during the research. It applies to the interview questions, research report, and analytical diagrams. Every time we wrote the report, our writing skills improved. 2. Mathematics: When we were conducting statistical analysis for the survey, we had to count the number of subjects, calculated the percentage, and trained our ability to read the charts. Thus, our math ability was improved. 3. Arts and Humanities: For webpage editing, we learned computer skills, and webpage layout and design. Science and Technology: We searched information on the Internet and used various software for writing or webpage editing; thus, we improved our IT skills. 4. Social Studies: We have to understand the essential of the night school education and find out why it is important to our society. Besides, we learn more about the original cultures of the immigrants. 5. Integrative Activities: During this project, we all kept positive interaction in cooperation and collaboration. The sense of accomplishment is our main motivation.