1. Description of Our Community
Sanchong is located in Taipei County, Taiwan. Our school is in Sanchong where is face Taipei City across Danshui River. And because of the convenient communication, Sanchong becomes the area that has the most immigrants from southern Taiwan. The population is big and there are a lot of miniature industries. It‘s a quite prosperous town.
2. Summary of Our Project
Our project is named “ Jiao, Taoism’s rituals, Sanchong Carnival : Five-consecutive-day rituals in 2008 in Sanchong city to pray for peace”. We discovered the mystery of “Jiao”, the rituals of Taoism and local art and music related to the activity. The year before last year, Sanchong city held the biggest “Jiao” activity - Five-consecutive-day rituals of praying for peace – in the past 60 years. The citizens participated warmly and were temporarily becoming vegetarian for three days on which there was no any meat food on the market. The Pudu worship was held on the playground of our school. There seemed to be no end of table-to-table sacrificial offerings. The believers crowded one another to worship. We decided to make this project by searching for the rituals. We participated every activity of the rituals and took photos and videos; we searched for a lot of information about “Jiao”. Besides, our teachers taught related subject in the lessons. By doing so, we can not only understand the meaning of ritual activities but enhance the prosperity and development of local culture of Sanchong city by a close cooperation between community and school.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
Our school have a computer in every classroom and can use internet access. Besides, we have a subject about using computer and internet access. When we learn the computer subject, we will learn in computer rooms where each has around 40 computers for all students.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
1. The after-school visits were difficult to arrange concerning suitable time: It’s hard for members to go for after-school visits together not only because their after-school activity schedules were fully booked but some visits must be done at late night. Therefore, we solved the problem by asking members’ parents to help members pay the visits. 2. The shortage of discussing time at school: Each member participated some activities and contests at school. The only available time for them to discuss on the project was rest time at noon. However, the scheduled discuss was interrupted sometimes by unexpected issues. We solved the problem by using email to keep everyone in contact to make sure the progress was on track.
3. The difficulty in making web page: The members only had very basic concept of making web page and it’s the first time for them to make web page from scratch. They needed help from teachers due to inexperience. Members also learned a lot of skills of photo editing, file uploading, etc.
4. The difficulty in the analysis of questionnaire: The difficulty members encountered was resulted from the insufficient knowledge of Microsoft Excel. We solved the problem by purchasing the software from which we learned the required knowledge.
5. The information was too numerous and disorderly to sort out easily: Jiao rituals have been evolved for long and are influenced by history and geography. It’s not easy to display the understandable information due to the different conception of and the way we hold the rituals. We solved it by referring to a lot of bibliographies to sort out the ritual contents that exclusively belong to Sanchong city.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
The more we know, the more we disclose the mystery of Jiao. We hope our project and web pages can be known by the power of internet. People can not only understand the meaning of ritual activities but enhance the prosperity and development of local culture of Sanchong.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
This project makes us understand many things besides textbook and we know more about our traditional religions, Taoism’s rituals, our community- Sanchong history and events. In addition, we also attend the activities of the experience of “Jiao” rituals. Experiencing these rituals was to open our mind and learn more about traditional art and music. Besides, we also learned how to interview people. We couldn't really learn these things at school.