1. Description of Our Community
Our community is located in Taipei City. The north edge of Taipei Basin is the well-known Yangmingshan National Park, covering an area of about 11,455 hectares. Taipei basin is rich in topography, landscape, history, culture, and animal and plant ecology. On the north side of Taipei basin consists of Taipei City districts such as Shihlin and Beitou, and many township of Taipei County, such as Tamshui, Sanchi, Shimen, Jinshan, and Wanli.
2. Summary of Our Project
Our project is to present the last virgin land in the Yangminshan National Park - Tiansi Park. It was illegally occupied for commercial use as a restaurant for many years. In 1997, Yangmingshan National Park Administration Office took the authority over the land use management. In order for the park's ecological recovery, the area was closed for reservation for 10 years. It reopened in May 2007 to the public. The topic of our project is 'The Disappearance of the Ancient Paradise—The Breath of Forest - Tiansi Park”, which addresses animal and plant ecology and the natural landscape.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:1
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
(1) School’s internet connection: Our school provides T1 Internet connection. We used the computers in the computer room to search information and print out documents. (2) Individual team member’s internet connection: Everyone in our team has a PC at home, most using ADSL connection. We also used MSN and email to communicate and send information after school.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
(1) Lack of knowledge of plant: Tiansi Park locates in an area of the subtropical broad-leaved forest ecosystem which sets a comprehensive expression of tropical, subtropical, temperate representation in a compressed ecosystem. During the research process, we had to interview the park guides, and searched information online as we realized that all of us had little knowledge about plants. (2) Lack of time for discussion and research: Being high school students in the last year with heavy course load, we could only use our spare time after school to have discussion. Fortunately, our team members cooperated and collaborated to make every effort to minimize the negative impacts during the process, so that the research project produced great results. (3) Lack of experience in website production: This is our first time to participate in the CyberFair Project. We did not have any prior experience in website production. Whenever we met obstacles, we worked our best to find someone who was able to consult. There was much joy and setbacks during the research process. (4) Time limitation for interview: We confronted many restrictions in our interviews regarding this research project. The main challenge was the schedule to visit Tiansi Park, which only opens to 20 every morning and afternoon. Moreover, it is also closed in January, February, and other holidays.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
Natural environment is God’s most precious gift given to us: Tiansi Park is the most precious gift given from heaven. The entire park is a treasury of forest, such as waterfalls and rare stones. We should cherish the natural environment, not to destroy it.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
(1) A painstaking process behind admiration: We explored many ways of dealing with problems, and improved our communication skills. Although it was hard work during the research process, it bore sweet fruits. We understood that there is no 'something for nothing'. (2) Trust and better communication learned from the team work: There is always a price for growth. We learned respect, ways of communication, tolerance and forgivingness under the same goal. We also understood the meaning of forbearance, contribution, understanding, and thanksgiving.