1. Description of Our Community
Our school is located at the Chungcheng District, close to the Presidential Office Building and Residence.
2. Summary of Our Project
We’ve established a study group of “Pinuyumayan Club” by gathering students, parents and teachers together. Through our collaborative planning and discussion, we’ve selected Ms. Yu-yun Cheng – a key person in the promotion of Puyuma language for urban indigenous people living in Taipei as our main interview target. We conducted interviews and engaged ourselves in language networks activities to have a deeper understanding about the importance of indigenous language in relation to urban indigenous people’s life and education.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
1.Different work time Four members in the study group are situated in four different classes and they can only work together about two hours per week. Lesser time is available for them to discuss and work on the project. In order to tackle this, teachers set up a “Moodle Web Digital Platform” to post messages and allow students to work on the tasks that teachers assign and participate in online discussion. Progress report and information arrangement is also going through the platform. 2.Multiple modifications of the research structure When we started, we would like to cover many topics about indigenous people. After having modified our research structure for several times, we’ve decided to focus on “people” and selected Ms. Yu-yun Cheng as our main target. 3.Uneasy to set up an interview schedule Since Ms. Yu-yun Cheng was not feeling well, we couldn’t set up an interview schedule with her. At last we came to interview her at patient visit time with her granddaughter who is also a member of the study group. During the research period, we would also like to thank many indigenous teachers to provide us with much information. 4.Uneasy task to sort out the materials Ms. Yu-yun Cheng had provided us with many precious photos and documents. We need to categorize the materials, scan photos, and arrange them to be posted on the web page.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
(1) Raise government’s awareness to put emphasis on the promotion of indigenous education and language. From interviewing Ms. Yu-yun Cheng and participating in language networks activities, we have deeply realized the beauty of the indigenous culture, and also understood the importance of tribal language to its people. We wish that government would inject more funds in sponsoring educational and cultural activities for indigenous people, which could in turn practically improve their current problem of language and culture transmission. (2) Through our web page, the general public would know more about indigenous language promotion activities, and more people would understand how much effort indigenous people have contributed in promoting local language.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
1. We would like to thank Ms. Cheng for accepting our interview during her illness and providing us with a great deal of precious information. 2. We would like to thank Ms. Jin-mei Lai and Ms. Li-ai Chian for accepting our interview and providing us with much information in regard to the current status of indigenous language promotion. 3. We would like to thank Mr. Hao-hsiang Cheng for providing his self-build Pinuyumayan blog and many precious photos.