1. Description of Our Community
Our target community is Taipei City, which is not only the most advanced city but also the city of the highest death rate and of a great number of heavy citizens in Taiwan. Many people would rather stay up late in their youth than form the habit of exercising; thus, most of them usually take health lightly until they lose it.
2. Summary of Our Project
The sport we tried to explore in our project is Qigong, an exercise that people perform at daybreak. Due to pressure of work and schoolwork, lots of people find it hard to set aside time to do sports. Since it is believed that a day begins with a good start in the morning, we hope, with our project and introduction, more and more people will understand the beauty of Qigong and maybe consequently take up this sport. In our project, we interviewed those who have performed Qigong for quite a long time in person, and they also shared suggestions about performing Qigong with us.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:none
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:2-3
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
The computer resources we used for the project include two computers in the Computer Center at school and laptops from the group members. The Internet system we used is optical fiber network of 100MB.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
1. The first problem we encountered is to find a topic of creativity so as to attract attention. 2. We found it hard to get access to some areas, such as Beitou and Nangang. None of us live in those areas, and we have no access to public transport to those areas at daybreak. 3. The weather is also a problem, which affected the number of group member for participation. 4. When gathering information, only one member of the whole group was familiar with the procedure of making web pages, which left the rest of us collecting and seeking information.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
We learned a lot from working on this project. For example, we learned how to converse with people we just met on the site and how to use PhotoImpact 11 and Frontpage2003. We explored the practice of Qigong in Taipei City and acquired growing understanding about it at the same time. In addition, we devoted lots of time and efforts to this project. All the group members strived hard for greater results. Most important of all, we did not give up. Instead, we kept discussing and worked together to solve problems we encountered.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
Because of carrying out this project, we learned that health is closely related to doing sports. Therefore, we suggest that the practice of Qigong can be incorporated into the curriculum of P.E. in our school because we all felt relaxed and warm after performing Qigong.