1. Description of Our Community
In 1949, masses of refugees surged into the territory as a consequence of the Civil War on the mainland, this led to an upsurge in demand for housing. On Christmas Day in 1953, a massive fire swept the Shek Kip Mei squatter area. After that ,the fire prompted the Government to get directly involved in housing production. Shek Kip Mei Estate is the first public housing estate in Hong Kong. However, due to tremendous economic growth of Hong Kong in recent years, all remaining 1950's blocks were vacated and officially condemned on October 16, 2006, with demolition scheduled for the end of 2006. Block 41 of the estate, Mei Ho House, the last remaining example of the 'Mark II' building in a single-block configuration, is graded as 'Grade I historic building', and will be preserved tentatively as a record of Hong Kong's public housing development.
2. Summary of Our Project
Our project will introduce Shek Kip Mei Estate. For example, the history of the estate, just as the massive fire of Shek Kip Mei squatter area .the last remaining block Mei Ho House, the future of the estate and the Mei Ho House ,the future we think,the uniqueness of Mei Ho house
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:2-3
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dial-up modem
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:4-6
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
(1) Creating webpage:We are not good at designing web pages .And also this is our first time is use Macromedia Dreamweaver. When we were constructing our website, we faced a lot of technical problems. But we try the search in the internet and learn step by step for making web pages ,even the frame. Finally, we have overcomes all those problems by paid our great efforts .Besides, we gained experience and learned a lot of useful skills. (2) Information researching:There are not much information about Shek Kip Mei Estate and Mei Ho House. It took us loads of time to search for some useful information we needed. As a result, We searched data from the Internet, books and visit the history museum of Hong Kong. (3) Decision making:We had different points of view. Whenever we made decision, we persist in our own opinions. For example, before choosing Mei Ho House to be our theme, we had thought of many ideas and we argued about that. To solve the problem, we discussed with our teacher and analysis the data. Lastly, we can made the decision. (4) Time management: As we are a F.4 student, we are incredibly busy for preparing the HKCEE . Also, our school had a great deal of homework, competitions and quizzes recently. As a result, we did not have much time to create our website. We had to manage our time table properly and divided our jobs. We offered the job depended on people’s ability. For example, if someone was good at design, her job was to design the layout of the website.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
Future is handled by our hands.We should not hesitat to express our feeling as we are the world citizen.
Before the research project, we think the development of our historial landmark,mei Ho house,is none of our business.Now,we are intersted in Mei Ho House and also the history of Shek Kip Mei housing estate. We feel pleased that we are living in 21 century but not 1950s. This is because the living condition in 1940s is much worser than now.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
Mei Ho House is in the same district of our school. As a result, we can visit and take photos of Mei ho House after school directly. And also, our school had held some learning program which is about the Hong Kong museum, so we can learn some historical effect and news about the Hong Kong’s public housing development. By the way,I have learned how to make a attractive wallpaper, a clear frame and try to search information by using different search spider. Although we just have two members for doing this project, but we were always have different opinions .Therefore, we faced a lot of problem of making decision .As a result, I think I have learned a better communication skills. Now, no matter we have different point of views, we will try to listen others opinions. If we persist of our own opinions, we will try to explain it patiently. I think I have learned to concern more about our daily life and thinking about the future of them. And I think I am more responsible than other schoolmates to be a Hong Kong citizen now I think the Hong Kong education system is well developing by improving the science and technology. We have advanced computers in our school. As a result, these helped us a lot in creating our web pages.
I agree that the Internet for teaching and learning been more effective than traditional methods, it is because it reduced a lot time for handwriting, and also, it attack student for learning by using E-book instead of the printing book.