1. Description of Our Community
The culture of Taiwan has both modern and traditional features. Between the tall buildings, it is not unusual to see many traditional Chinese with the delicate decoration of dragon patterns. Various dragon designs can be seen on our daily appliance. Until now we still celebrate Chinese New Year and Dragon Boat Festival through beautiful dragon dance and dragon boat race. So dragons are deeply rooted in our life.
2. Summary of Our Project
Our project website, Dragons in Chinese culture, is a website in which there are lots of information and resources about Chinese dragons in Chinese culture and different ways to show you how important dragons are in our culture in different ways. It doesn't convey the only message that dragons are equal to Chinese culture. Instead, people can know more about different aspects of Chinese culture from the contents and resources of the website. Our project was carried out in our community and other countries. We worked with students and teachers in America and Italy and also shared with our classmate and people in our community through many interesting activities. It’s amazing to know such a beautiful legendary creatures and its connection to our culture.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:2-3
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dial-up modem
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
1. Blog for discussion and cooperation: We set up a weblog for group discussion and international learning cooperation. 2. Desktop computers and laptops: We have 72 desktop computers and 75 laptops in school. Besides, our wireless internet environment allows us to search information about dragons on the internet anywhere and anytime.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
a. Time limitation: Since we were too busy to do the research on weekends, we had to work during the lunch break time. Sometimes, we discussed and assigned tasks through emails and weblog, which helped us overcome the time limitation problem. b. The limitation of English writing and reading abilities: Though we have learned English for several years, our English writing ability is not good enough. So we sought our coach, Miss Chang and Miss Chen's help. They helped us translate our parts of our research into English and taught us to read stories in English.
c. Argument happens: We sometimes had argument when we had different opinions but we felt great when we finally figured out the solution. The experience of working on a project together is really interesting and useful.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
From children to adults around the world, everyone has great interest in “Dragon.” Though our project, we successfully motivate more people study and appreciate Chinese culture and arts. And we are really proud of what we’ve done!
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
1. DV & Camera: We recorded the calligraphy of writing “dragon” and take photos of dragons. 2. Scanner: We scanned coloring page of dragon from our students, and put them on our website. 3.Library: We looked for the books and stories about dragon in our school library. 4. Blog: The teacher posted the articles of the project task, the related article or videos for discussion on the blog. Then, if the member would like to review the content or continue the assignment, they could read the blog all the time.