1. Description of Our Community
Taroko’s spectacular cliffs, grand canyons and deep valleys; the serpentine east coast line with majestic views accompanied by native’s influential orotund voice and immense passionate dance routines, Hualien’s muti-natural beautiful sceneries has attracted numbers of people to visit from the whole country, even the tourists from all over the world. Hualien’s beautiful natural scenery, primitive and simple life, has made it as a secret garden for people who want to relax themselves to come and visit. In recent years, Hualien not only develops and constructs towards sightseeing county, but focuses on ?non-poison organic agriculture?, and tries to let the vegetables and fruits planted on this pure land and livestock products making people eat more healthy without worries. Move on to the chef Ming’s restaurant, located in Hualien Chi-an county, the president Chuang Chung Ming (everyone used to call him chef Ming) cooperates with Hualien county’s ?non-poison organic agriculture?, he holds the faith of (healthy, organic, regimen, and creativity), creates variety tasty food by the good use of Hualien’s non-poison ingredient s, not only wins local’s and tourists’ applauses, but makes everyone feel that 'eat' really is the most happy matter.
2. Summary of Our Project
It took livelong 36 years from a roadside noodle-cooking stand vendor to a world cooking skill competition silver medal winner, everyone only sees chef Ming’s glittered appeal, fame and wealth. No one really understands his hardworking during these 36 years, chef Ming used to alienating by competitors and neighbors, moving his small stands for many times and crying with his wife in the midnight; whoever knows that because of making money, his young little girl can only stayed with him in the cold night pulling his arm saying that she was freezing, all these has made chef Ming sob for several times… Chef Ming works from apprenticeship to a chef; from a man knows nothing about cooking to a skillful cook; from cooking simple dish to creating famous banquet dishes; from a young man passing life in a daze to a complacent chef. Behind Master Ming's success there are hardworking and distressing sides. Chef Ming is a man of considerable perseverance; he has worked his way for years in the food and drink industry, under many disadvantages, with great assiduity. His great passion towards cooking has kept him going through all sorts of hardship. It is these difficulties that gave him the motivation to explore and invent new dishes for customers to enjoy. Through all the years of being the dedicated chef has gave him the honored statues in not only Hualien but in the whole entire Taiwan food and drink industry. His earnest and ardent attitude towards his passions is an idol for people like us today.
Thus, we decide to discover the story behind a famous chef, to let everyone knows that successful is not a coincidence, and hope to encourage people who are in despair by knowing chef Ming’s story to find their confidence again with determination and to find out their own life.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
(1) The establishment of topic: There is a slang says:?Nothing is easy in the beginning.?it is more than adequacy to use this sentence on our top choosing. Why? Because long in our learning experience, we usually have no right to choose what we can learn, but passively accept knowledge that books or tutors taught us and lack of active exploring ability. So when teachers wanted us to decide research content, we really had no idea how to. Hualien county is huge, so many things, people and places deserve us to talk about, what we should do? Our brain became empty. Afterwards, by teacher's leading, we chose?An ambrosia idealist - Chef Ming? as the topic.
(2) Give attention to both studies and online exposition: Carried on more than five months of the online exposition research project, we spent a lot of time on our researches subject; we not only had online exposition project in our lives, but also had to give attention to school work. We concentrated on our class better than before so that we can understands everything during the time; once arrived home we immediately finishing school work, saved those time we used to waste: watched TV and fooled around, hence we had spare time to work on the web pages assigned by web research project. It is to say that our unexpected reward was, to work on everything more concentrate and effective.
(3) Lack of interview experience In our study processes, we usually only answered questions teachers asked, no need to mention about interview experience? Therefore lack of interview experience is the matter we need to overcome. In order to have satisfying result with every interview, we had group meeting before interviewing, by leading by three tutors and thinking what we lacks? What we want to know? And concludes questions we want to ask interviewees. Our Three tutors also reminded us to notice our deportments and manners, in case we leave negative impression to interviewee who takes pleasure in providing help.
Although we have done a lot of preparation before interview, we were embarrassed because of lacking of interview experiences – too shy to talk before interviewees and talked incoherently, as a result we staring at each other without saying a word and this cause nerves for the three tutors at the same time, so they were trying to making eyes at us, tried to remind us questions to ask interviewee, and they were almost replace us to speak.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
Actually we have advertised the Taiwan schools cyberfair by our several-time-interview. (Since you want to interview people, it is better to let them know first.) Almost every interviewee agreed with this movement, they think that it not only helped students to learn things on their own, but shared the website to everyone, to let people know about chef Ming’s 36 year tough process. This was no doubt a low cost and great effect advertisement, thus the interviewees talked and shared more. Furthermore, we learned a lot we cannot in class through interviewing, asking questions, and collecting document in persons.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
(1) Combine school courses: In the revolutionary wave of nine year compulsory education, the new courses of seven main fields and ten basic abilities is particularly important by integrative and big unit teaching. Although our research topic is?Chef Ming?, it contains society, language, natural, humanities, technology and art fields, for new course this is a very suitable topic. The research project let us completely learn how to establish a research topic, to draft a research plan, to carry out a research, and to complete the whole research process. Along with the promoting of nine year compulsory education, our research activity also considered the seven main field courses as the design frame; we hope to execute the spirit of nine year compulsory education through this research project.
(2) Personally experience is a way of studying After every discussion, we learned the truth of 'all things to be on the initiative', many things we knew were from learning step by step; such as: how to interview, to use a video camera, to know how to write minutes and to make a webpage…etc. These study methods we might not able to learn at school, but we gained even more through joining the whole research project.
(3) Research process was a lesson full of innovate ideas. It is fixed to use teaching material – textbook at most schools, hence, the knowledge we know are fixed as well. However the research project, the way all contents present and the draw-up of outline had no exact answer. We continuously discussed, collected data and generalized them, and presented all the information and efforts. The way of teaching was not the same as our research process; we gave students a lot of chances to think independently. After executing the nine year compulsory education, each grade has 1/4 to 1/5 flexible class, this research pattern has became very suitable for research teaching and independently thinking learning, we therefore personally experienced this flexibility and fun class by taking part in this project.
(4) Skills we have learned Apart from proposing progress, we also need to cast interview draft and interview tape recording we were responsible for; thus we have learned a lot of word processing and webpage design techniques. During interviewing, we learned about skills in carrying on the interview, such as how to make a record and cast interview drafts, how to scan pictures and use a tape recorder, how to collect and sorting data; and the most important …