1. Description of Our Community
Taiwan is a multi-cultural place where regional traditional arts have great influences on our everyday lives. However, how well do young people from the northern parts of Taiwan really know about our local arts and cultures? Xian Jen Ho Drum Factory is located in Sinjhuang City, Taipei County. There are many historical sites, temples, lanes, and century-old industries lin the region where traces of ancestral cultivations can still be seen. Over the years, “Sinjhuang Temple Street” has played a major role in boosting the tourism industry, and passing down of cultures. Other than the four temples that are listed as national historic sites, (three third class historic sites and one second class historic site) the elegance of the old temple street can still be seen at historic lanes and alleys such as the Water Carrying Lane, the Theatre Lane, the Rice Market Lane, and a few century-old stores. Old methods are passed down through generations to add to the cultural demeanor of this place. We shall introduce Xian Jen Ho Drum Factory, one of the century-old stores.
2. Summary of Our Project
Since ancient times, drum making and use had been a cultural practice among ethnic groups around the world. As times changed, the drum-making industry is now known as a traditional industry in the modern society. In the modern society, although the drum is not a daily necessity, it plays an important social and cultural role as it is still struck at temples and shrines in the morning, and is used in folk art performances. The leader of drums, Xian Jen Ho, endeavors to produce high-quality drums and promote the drum culture both locally and overseas. Xian Jen Ho has customers from temples, shrines, schools, and bands in Taiwan as well as Japan, Korea, Southeast Asia, Europe and America. Some of them come to Taiwan by plane to place orders. Currently, Lan-Yang Theater Group, and The Ju Percussion Group are using drums made by Xian Jen Ho. Mr. Wang Shi-Kun, the in-charge of Xian Jen Ho, said that he hopes to make drums that produce pure and clear sounds and reverberate through the skies for people to listen and enjoy. Xian Jen Ho’s establishment and rise to fame is a legend that deserves to be mentioned. The in-charge of Xian Jen Ho, Mr. Wang Shi-Kun, has devoted himself wholeheartedly in the drum-making industry. He has studied, improved, and incorporated business concepts into it. Since drums made by Mr. Wang are hand-made, high-quality, and durable, they are known throughout the world. Xian Jen Ho Drum Factory’s developments and contributions to Chinese cultures and arts are a display of the Taiwanese spirit. We hope to integrate traditional Taiwanese arts into People’s daily lives in Taiwan through this monographic study so that they will spread and flourish overseas as well.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dial-up modem
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
Optical fiber is used for the connection of computer in this school to the exterior. The backup host machine to store special project web page and necessary data has a space of about 100 Mb. For the internet environments used by teacher and student at home are mostly 2M/512 K ADSL service provided by Chunghwa Telecom.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
(1) Picture taking Originally, we hope to see the students’ learning situation, but since we visited them after the class, we can not take photos showing the students doing their work on site. Fortunately, Mr. Wang Shi-Kun provides us with many journal materials and data and we can scan and get photo from these materials, although the result is not as perfect as we expect. (2) Skill Since we are green hands in computer skills in preparing the special project, we somehow feel frustrated; some special effects that need higher skill thus can not be displayed. Fortunately, our teacher Mei-Hui Wu encourages and instructs us to learn uninterruptedly while we are making the web pages, right now, our skills become more mature.
(3) Communication From the beginning of making the topic, the opinions are so diversified. Everyone thinks that is would be a pity if his/her own opinion is not adopted; therefore, a lot of dispute scenes are not uncommon. After communication and coordination is made among teacher and group and team leaders with discussion showing both the advantage and disadvantage sides, a final conclusion is thus made and all the members will follow it since we are a team that teamwork is our first priority.
(4) Time arrangement Since our school work load is large and the web page needs to be completed in limited time which in turn is a heavy load to us. Therefore, most of the jobs are done after class in the computer room with a hurry. Since this is a never tried experience, each one of us will do his/her best to get the best result.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
Our monographic study is not only a collection of detailed return data but also visitations to Xian Jen Ho Drum Factory. We have found a group of people who dedicate themselves in the passing down of arts through generations. The rise and fall of these traditional arts have great influences on the passing down of our cultures. It is an area worth further discussion. During the topic study process, we have discovered the charms of traditional arts no one can ignore. Hopefully, the beauty of traditional arts can be promoted through the propagandizing local features. We ought to endeavor to protect these arts and prevent them from decline. This topic study has joined us in one heart. Our goal is achieved through labor division. It is a precious experience to have.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
Internet production applications:To learn to produce topic web pages and share them with others through the internet.
Group labor division:Learn about labor division in a group and assign tasks for everyone. Coordinate different ideas for the topic, and learn to get along with others in the group.
Data integration competence:Collect, and compile data of the website body.
Appreciations, and value of traditional arts:We not only appreciate traditional arts, we value them as well. Prosperous developments are essential as arts are our tradition. We ought to appreciate and value every traditional art that we have.