1. Description of Our Community
“Shihlin” means 'scholar forest.' Here, culture has been always prosperous since the Chin Dynasty. Our community presently has 3 universities, 4 high schools, 8 junior high schools, and 20 elementary schools. In addition, it has 'the National Palace Museum in Taiwan.'
2. Summary of Our Project
The Shihlin Presidential Residence initially belonged to the Shihlin Experimental Gardening Institute. After World War II, before Chiang's government moved to Taiwan, the Province's President Chen selected this place to be Chiang's presidential residence. In 1996, the place was opened to the public and has been attracting a large number of people since then. The place is surrounded by the Fushan Mountains and it is divided into two areas. The mountainous area consists of the fort of the Shihlin Presidential Residence, and the plain area is the place for many kinds of activities. Here is appropriate for strolling and other leisure affairs, as well as for physical exercises, extracurricular teaching, ecology studies, and so on. The study plan enables you to learn about the beauty and history of the place, and the passions of the people who had inhabited it. This is the place that you should visit by all means!
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:2-3
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
We have two computer labs at school; we use the one we usually have classes in. All computers are equipped with Pentium4 processors running at 1.8Ghz. We used PC both at school and home for this project. Teachers and students used ADSL surfing the Internet for information.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
1) Limited Time: Because students come from different classes and have various tests, the instructor has created a bulletin, a calendar, a downloading website, contact email accounts, etc. Every student needs to access the Net every day, to make the project progress. 2) Limited Abilities: Due to our limited abilities, we have to resort to many websites for information. 3) Data Collecting Difficulties: The Presidential Residence was under military rule for a long time, so there were very few pictures taken of it. Besides, many people who had served in this place refused to be interviewed. However, we still found people willing to offer information. 4) The Official Residence has not been opened to the public. We have not been able to search and study it. But many enthusiastic people who had worked there provided information to us.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
United all our potential powers with teamwork and achieved the goal of elevating our English language skills through building an international web page that presented the Shihlin presidential Residence to the cyberspace. We felt honored and cautious that we had chosen the topic. We had also learnt about former President Chiang Kai-Shek's plain life with his wife. We were so touched by them and had tried our best to collect and report the data. We felt that as a kind of historical mission assigned to us!
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
1) In social study field: We can understand Chinag’s life from a historical point of view, as well as the morality of the society in those times. 2) In nature and biology field: We can learn how to draw the map of this place and its ecology environment. 3) In art and culture field: We are able to appreciate Madame Chiang's Chinese paintings. 4) In local education field: We can learn about the ecology, the events, and the future of the Presidential Residence, and figure out the relations between this place and our life. 5) In other aspects: We can better improve our computer-based data collecting, homepage designing, and art editing abilities. We can also meet several important people, as well as broaden our knowledge.