1) What information tools & technologies did you used to complete your CyberFair project?
Telephone, mobile, television, recorder, digital camera, camera, Internet, local area network, books, newspapers, magazines, orals, interviews.
Computer software; Microsoft; Windows 2000,Windows98,Office 2000; Macromedia; Flash5,Dreamweaver4,Fireworks 4; Adobe; PhotoShop6.01; Ulead; PhotoImpact7.0、PhotoImpact6.0; Computer hardware; The host; Peripheral; CPU：Intel Pentium III 633,750,1GHz and AMD Athlon 850 MHZ; AMD K6-II 350 Mhz; CD-ROM drive：52X CD RAM and DVD 16X; Graphic Cards: TNT2 32MB , GeForce2 MX, ATi Radeon LE; 1.44" floppy drive; Monitor: 15" & 17"; Audio sound card, digital camera: NIKON 880; Scanner: Mustek 1200sp; Inkjet ;printer: EPSON COLOR 600; Laser printer: HP laserjet 5000le
Computer is an indispensable tool to web page making. We set up another server in order to manage our team's computer and prevent the data, files and productions from revising arbitrarily. And we need to use computer a lot of time such as searching for the information from the website, integrating the data, creating files and web pages, sending and receiving E-Mail…etc.. But our team leader and assistant leader need to bring their own computers to school because the computer and peripheral facilities, which the school can provide, are not sufficient for our team members using. We are also using the digital camera to avoid mistakes and reach the perfect display when we are recording the video. And the scanner is used in order to ensure the pictures' beautify and perfect. Furthermore, we went to Taipei World Trade Centre, Taipei radio station FM931….etc. and look for related information. Although we often came back with nothing, we still work hard and do not give up.
2) In what ways did you act as "ambassadors" and spokespersons for your CyberFair project both on-line and in person.
After doing the research of our special subject, we design the structure map of our web page quickly and efficiently. And then we contact some experts and explain our project narrative to them. We spend our holiday bringing our project to visit them, but most of time we use telephone and E-Mail as the main contact tools.
3) What has been the impact of your project on your community?
1. The purpose, which we create this website, is to hope the primary and junior high students and teachers can have different points of view to our Nature in a research aspect.
2. We choose Chinese medicine as the topic of our website, this is like a child, who play a role as an adult. But you will feel its vibration when you get into it.
3. In the process of website creating, the joined students get the most fruitful results and then is the joined teachers. Through the project making this time, we have not only a great progress of computer technique, but also a different way of looking at the flowers, grass and trees around them. Furthermore, we have different levels of awareness of prevention and treatment of diseases.
4. We look forward that this website can guild all the primary and junior high students in the world to get a totally different motivation and learning.
5. In the process of setting up (creating)this website, not only teachers and students come to our website, but our parents and hospitals and Chinese medicine study organizations that we interviewed are also our faithful audience.
6. The hospitals and organizations we interviewed and our parents always give us moral support, as well as providing us new information.
7. After the efforts we made through these several months, we learned how to create a website, and all the team members now also are qualified to be young researchers of Chinese medicines who can provide our family and friends with information of health.
4) How did your project involve other members of your community as helpers and volunteers?
“Interview” is the essential component, which an outstanding web page requires. Because the people who we want to interview spread the whole Taiwan, the biggest problem which we have is transportation. However, this problem has been solved through the local personalities’ help. Afterward we go to visit the Taiwan Herbal Medicine Garden in Longtan village of Taoyuan and the Kunlun Herb Plant Tourism Garden. And we also visit the dean of the Chinese herbal medicine department in the postgraduate school of National Yang Ming University. When we arrival there, the dean is talking to economic department. But the dean still finds time to receive our interview while fully engaged; he does not let us come in vain. We really appreciate their assistance and help.
5) Discoveries, Lessons and Surprises (Optional)
Before we are doing the project, what we know about Chinese herbal medicine is only superficial. But through the process of project making, information collection and interviewing the experts, which make us further realize the broad and profound mystery of Chinese herbal medicine. The ways of producing Chinese herbal medicine are different between now and pass. Today most of medicines are produced by full automatic high technology, only few parts of them are produced by hand. When we are visiting the Chinese Herbal Medicine Pharmaceutical Research Institution, we see a lot of experimental equipments. And after joining the activity of Cyberfair, we know a lot the things, which we did not know about before through this project, such as we know a lot of curative effects of Chinese herbal medicines. After this activity, I believe that our whole team members’ knowledge would be increased a lot.