1. Description of Our Community
Our community, Wen-Long, being located at Taipei County in Taiwan .Wen-Long was an excellent graveyard filled with the spiritual influence that could bless the posterity of resident to create a new ruler. But in Manchu dynasty, Emperor Guangxu built the railroad to destroy the spiritual influence and divided Wen-Long into three administrative areas. From now on, Wen-Long became a area that nobody wanted to be responsible for. There is factory everywhere at Wen-Long, eighty percent of the resident is out -comer .Not knowing the history of this area, they do not work hard to safeguard and cherish the environment. Therefore, Wen-Long has lost his elegant appearance at present. But a lot of the resident still fell hopeful about the future of our community; they are pleasure to devoting himself to make the area beautiful and glory again!
2. Summary of Our Project
We visited nine Mouth & Foot Painting Artists(MFPA) who lived at Taipei County City,ROC. After losing their hands,they learned to draw and paint with the brush held in the mouth or with the toes. Being disabled is not their symbol,they live a more optimistic and bright life than others. We would tell you their moving stories about how to overcome all obstacles and look the sunny side of the world.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:1
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:2-3
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
1. Limited resources of the information: Internet is a powerful tool, but we found nothing about MFPA(Mouth or Foot Painting Artist).To complete the project , we had to do the first hand investigation by interview. Luckily they were ready to help us by telling their stories. 2. Many places have to go: At first, we thought MFPA painted at the association, we would meet them all here. But it was wrong, they all worked at home. To interview them, we had to go many places. We planed to interview two MFPA whose residence are near on the same day. For example, Wei-De Chung and Chun-Wei Li live at Taipei city; Sheng-Lung Lo and Ruei-Chin Liau live at Hsinjuang City. Thanks for their cooperation. 3. Have not ever interviewed: Due to interview others for the first time, we are all nervous. While interviewing, we made the notes slowly and often wrote the misprint. However, through practice repeatedly, we finally overcome the obstacles. To advice our parent to interview the patent is another big problem. We spend much time finding out the data to approve that leprosy would not influence easily. At last, we make it. 4. Problem of communication. Mei-Huei Chen and Ruei-Chin Liau cannot speak because of illness. We had understood their situation in advance, so we asked their sisters and teacher come to help when we interviewed. But Mei-Huei Chen and Ruei-Chin Liau were not absent from interview, they made efforts to answer by drawing or writing with their foot. 5. Problem of transportation: We have twenty members and all of us can not go to interview at the same time. That would make MFPA ‘s house overcrowded and we don’t have so many cars to transport. Thus, we divided into four groups. Interviewed groups had to report and share their experience to other un-interviewed groups. We also borrowed some videotapes about MFPA from AMFPA in Taiwan and broadcasted to all members.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
Every time when we fail or feel upset, we recall the song of “The Prince of Egypt”. That is “Though hope is frail, it is hard to kill. Who knows what miracle you can achieve? You will when you believe.” That’s right! Be confident! You will when you believe.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
1. To combine with life education: In our daily life, we would meet the unexpected obstacle. To give up or insist to go, this is a question .The young is often called” Strawberry Generation” because they stop to try again easily. From the story of MFPA, we learn to be courageous and look the bright side of this world. 2. To combine with language: We held a Reading Club to read the book” I am Kuen-Shan Shie” in our class. Each of us had a book which bought with our pocket money. We had to read one chapter every week and share what we had found. We learn more new words and proverb and ho to share your opinion clearly. Besides, Kuen-Shan Shie was reported in our Language Lesson Book when we were grade four. Through the project, we get in touch with him and respect him more. 3. To combine with computer education: Lots of our parent regards computers as another game machine, and they avoid us getting in touch with. But we proved the technology itself is neutral, we can use it to learn by our own and make better interaction with society. We applied what we learned from the project and felt that these techniques were close to our lives more.