1. Description of Our Community
Taipei city is an international big city with colorful figures within it, but being a resident of Taipei city, how much do you know about your own city? Kanner’s Foundation is located at the “Ta-Lung-Tung Cultural Park” which is aggressively planned in recent years by Taipei City Government; it starts from Yuan-Shan Rapid Transit Station and follows along Ku-Lun Street, Ta-Lung Street, Confucius Temple, Pao-An Temple and 44 Kan, etc.; under the concept of “Rotating along the axis with the mixing of western and eastern cultures”, Taipei City Government has put “new life” into this “old community”. At here, you can experience the youngest ECO-MUSEUM which exists in the street of Taipei city; in combination with Confucius Temple, Dalong Elementary School and Pao-An Temple, then serially connected with the local culture resource and integrated with peripheral facility, an important tourism belt is thus formed; this is the so-called cultural and local featured Ta-Lung-Tung Cultural Park constructed by Taipei City Government, and our foundation is located within this cultural park.
2. Summary of Our Project
Being a person with healthy mentality and body, it is very difficult for us to imagine what is wrong in social adaptation for people with disabled mentality and body. Therefore, we have thought a while, and here we use the introduction of Kanner’s Autism Foundation as a starting point to inspire everyone’s concern about a group of such people around us. People with Kanner’s Syndrome disease will have adaptation problem since the childhood and in family, school or even the community. However, the solutions of such problems take not only medical and educational assistances but also the social acceptance to help people with Kanner’s Syndrome disease to obtain appropriate care and to reduce family load as well as social trouble. Actually, Kanner’s Syndrome is the so-called autism, which is extensive development retardation mainly caused by congenital brain disease. The exterior world always thinks that autism patients “Close themselves in their own worlds”, this is actually wrong and deviated image.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
Optical fiber is used for the connection of computer in this school to the exterior. The backup host machine to store special project web page and necessary data has a space of about 100 Mb. For the internet environments used by teacher and student at home are mostly 2M/512 K ADSL service provided by Chunghwa Telecom.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
(1) Picture taking Originally, we hope to see the students’ learning situation, but since we visited them after the class, we can not take photos showing the students doing their work on site. Fortunately, chief Wu provides us with many journal materials and data and we can scan and get photo from these materials, although the result is not as perfect as we expect. (2) Skill Since we are green hands in computer skills in preparing the special project, we somehow feel frustrated; some special effects that need higher skill thus can not be displayed. Fortunately, our teacher Mei-Hui Wu encourages and instructs us to learn uninterruptedly while we are making the web pages, right now, our skills become more mature.
(3) Communication From the beginning of making the topic, the opinions are so diversified. Everyone thinks that is would be a pity if his/her own opinion is not adopted; therefore, a lot of dispute scenes are not uncommon. After communication and coordination is made among teacher and group and team leaders with discussion showing both the advantage and disadvantage sides, a final conclusion is thus made and all the members will follow it since we are a team that teamwork is our first priority.
(4) Time arrangement Since our school work load is large and the web page needs to be completed in limited time which in turn is a heavy load to us. Therefore, most of the jobs are done after class in the computer room with a hurry. Since this is a never tried experience, each one of us will do his/her best to get the best result.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
There are lots of blessings behind each adversity. We usually complain about too many challenges lying ahead of us, but if we look at these Kanner’s Syndrome patients, their family members and all the participants of Kanner’s Foundation, we will find that they all live in the adverse environment; their great performance on conquering the difficult situation in life and their hardworking attitude really impress us. We have learned a lot from the participation of understanding Kanner’s Syndrome patients, all the things we have encountered during the interview and preparation process can not be fully expressed orally; what they own are so previous and they need the protection so much; if our society can understand them more and spend some more time help them, this would be a much better world.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
The objective of net competition is “giving and combining” and the objective of Kanner’s Foundation is ”The promotion of the idea of the enjoyment of the living right of “dignity” and the pursuit of the optimum welfare for their lifetime for Kanner’s Syndrome patients so that they can enjoy “quality” living space”, in fact, both spirits are consistent. In fact, we hope that after the completion of the web site, more people can see the dedication and efforts of Kanner’s Foundation. We always believe that if our society can understand the situation of Kanner’s Syndrome children more or can spend more time helping them, our world would become much better. This is also the reason why, in this net web page competition and in competitors from so many organizations, we strongly feel that Kanner’s Foundation is the one worth our study and further exploration.