1. Description of Our Community
Zhangyi Middle School is located 38 km to the southwest Yuanzhou District in the Guyuan City of Ningxia, where conditions are rough, economic development is slow and natural calamity is incessant and numerous. It is one of Guyuan's poorest villages. It's at boundary of Yuanzhou District, Longde County and Xiji County, with Liupan Mountain in the east, Jiangtaibao in the west, Haizixia in the south, and Xumi Mountain in the north. The traffic here is convenient (include Gujiang and Longzhang Highway)and natural environment is beautiful. Most people live on agriculture.
2. Summary of Our Project
This year is the 70th anniversary of the Long March. In our interview, we get to know that the Red Army ever passed through our village. What's more, Chairman Mao stayed at Yanguan in Zhangyi County for one night and wrote down the famous poem 'Mount Liupan (Qingpingle-Liupan Mountain)'. As Zhangyiness, we feel quite proud. At the same time, we feel ashamed because we might not know this history in our lifetime without our interview. In our research, we are clear about the route map of crossing Liupan Mountain and the Long March spirit. In our web site, we introduce the brief history of the Red Armies, our interview record, pictures and other relevant stories. It's hard for us to make web pages as we have no experience. With the help of teachers and staff in TTT, we finish it in time. Thanks to this activity, we learn a lot of knowledge and feel the Long March spirit.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:none
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:1
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:not sure
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:4-6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
We have only one computer connected with internet in campus; however, we get much help from our teachers and people in our community.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
1. This is our first time to participate in the international competition, we are lack of experience. With the help of TTT staff, we finish our project on time. 2. we waste too much time on setting our project. 3. It takes us a lot of time to search information on the internet, because our computer skills is not good. With the help of teachers and students, we overcome this problem. 4. problems in interview The tight budget hardly supports us in the research. What we can do is to save money on tickets and traffic. It was snowing in our interview. Our teacher-Mr. Xie fell down several times when taking pictures. So were my students. We always have lunch at two or three o'clock, which causes stomach. 5. weaknesses in translation Because our English level is limited, we always have problems in translation. Thanks to TTT staff, they help us to make web site in English version. We express our sincere acknowledgement to them.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
We learn many things in participating in the Cyber Fair. It's our first time to communicate on the internet, do interview, visit the Long March site, and make web site. We have learnt a lot about communication with others. Although the process of research is harsh, we know that there is no harvest without sowing. The sweet fruit comes only with hard work. We have also gained the valuable experiences of interacting with others; this ability will be a long-life benefit for us. By working together on the project, we have a fresh knowledge about ourselves. We not only see the merits of others, but also realize the strength of ourselves.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
Making the summary of our project is a test of our comprehensive quality. As our subject is the Red Armies, we search information about its history, geography, art, culture and other information. In our research, we have gained the valuable experiences of interacting with others. We would like to thank all the villagers, parents, schoolmates and teachers who help link interviewees and give us a lot of support and cooperation. Without them we can not successfully finish the project.