1) What information tools & technologies did you used to complete your CyberFair project?
1.DC, DV, image capture card: Field interview, visit, taking pictures during class, video recording by WMV format. 2.Internet: Looking up data, communicating with the teachers and Little Digital Hero via e-mail, MSN and volunteer teachers. 3.Scanner: Electronic documentation of school reports and pictures of Little Digital Heroes, and uploading to the websites. 4.Printer, copier: Printing school reports and teaching plans. 5.Telephone: Telephonic linking between volunteer teachers and our teachers, or between the teachers and interviewee. 6.MP3 : Data access and recording. 7.Computer Software: FrontPage, Dreamweaver, PhotoImpact, Ulead GIF Animator 5......
2) In what ways did you act as "ambassadors" and spokespersons for your CyberFair project both on-line and in person.
Since the teachers are local people and very familiar with the scenic spots, the Little Digital Heroes were led by them to make a tour, including Shelefafawu Park, Erfeng Canal, older tribes, and then interviewed with local citizens. Chief Ching-yung Liu answered many questions and told us many legendary stories about the tribes. Nan-feng Tu of NanFeng Arts Sculpture Studio and Yan-juan Gao of Yilin Shijuan Studio explained to us many types of embroidery patterns and their typical meanings for social status. Finally, we dressed ourselves in the clothes of indigenous people.
3) What has been the impact of your project on your community?
1.Insufficient computer equipment:With only 2G memory, every computer of the campus network isn’t equipped with many software, and operates slowly, making it difficult for on-line navigation. 2.Poor computer teaching effects:According to the teaching plan: 1 time every week, 2 hours each time, every Little Digital Hero shall learn how to operate computer step by step. So, everybody had to wait for a longer time, and has a little time of learning. 3.Frequent activities in the school:Due to frequent meetings or activities in the school, sometimes the teaching time was shortened to 1h. 4.Further insight into tribes by Little Digital Heroes: The themes of this Project would provide a further insight into the tribal culture, tourist sites and fairy tales. 5.Resource sharing:The geographical location, tourist attractions, traditional culture and fairy tales of Laiyi Village, etc, are uploaded to the website for the worldwide people.
4) How did your project involve other members of your community as helpers and volunteers?
The Little Digital Heroes wrote learning diaries themselves, covering the tourist attractions and related activities with the help of some reference books (see the reference); some data were collected from field interview and recording, while quoted articles were marked clearly.
5) Discoveries, Lessons and Surprises (Optional)
1. In an interview with Ms. Shi-juan Gao, it’s learnt that only noblemen could wear lily in the old times. But, there is only ALISITAN or Physostegia virginiana in Laiyi Township. Lily is the cultural sign of Sandimen. Laiyi Township and Yilin Township are proud of dark embroidery, especially for the people of Laiyi Township who prefer dark color and consider it as an honorable color. But, the people of Sandimen Village and Taiwu Village prefer bright color, such as: yellow.
2. Through this event, the Little Digital Heroes realized that they could learn knowledge and their tribal culture in a flexible and comfortable manner, and also build up their capabilities by creating a website with many ideas and data.
3. When leading the Little Digital Hero to Shelefafawu Park along a rugged footpath, we were a little afraid of them, but some of them said, “never mind, we’re mountaineers. Never fear!“ How brave they are!.