1. Description of Our Community
Hualien City is a quiet and small town located on the backside of a mountain. Its population, as compared to other places in Taiwan is far behind that of other large cities. In addition, traffic is difficult. Therefore the development of Hualien City is slow. Its business activities are not too prosperous. In addition, some of Hualien’s more prosperous main streets are much less prosperous, when compared with the prosperous places on the western parts of the island of Taiwan. For instance, the largest department store in Hualien City is the Far Eastern Department Store. Its surroundings are not prosperous and somewhat dirty in environment. This kind of a sight for a commercial area of a city is quite strange and curious. Traditionally, Chung-Shan Road, Chung-Cheng Road and Chung-Hwa Road form a triangular area that is the most prosperous part of Hualien City. It is often referred to as the “Golden Triangle”. This is where Hualien people gather. It is a good place to make money for businessmen. However, people from outside of Hualien do not think so. Take a closer look at the shops here at the Golden Triangle. Many people will question: why are these types of shops, which are called the “Golden Triangle” in the eyes of Hualien people so different from the shops in the western parts of Taiwan. It is very hard for them to imagine that there are so many traditional shops in one area of commercial activity. We would like to find out: What sort of a secret the “Golden Triangle” holds that people do not know?
2. Summary of Our Project
The purpose of this study is to conduct a field investigation with interviews, focus on the structure of commercial development on the major streets of Hualien City. The major content of the study is: First, observe, record, and verify the following concepts: I. Investigate the consumer behavior of Hualien City people, such as: 1. Demographics of the consumers 2. Types of consumption II. Major economic activities of the shops in Hualien City’s main streets, such as: 1. Types of products the shops are selling. 2. Investigate the structure of commercial development of the shops in the main streets of Hualien City. Discussion and Analysis to determine the important concepts of its development:
1. definition of commerce circle 2. structure and development of Hualien City’s commerce circle 3. specialty of commercial activities within the circle 4. transformation of Hualien City’s commercial circles 5. special commercial activities of Hualien City (economic gatherings) 6. factors effecting the commercial activities within the circles 7. techniques of setting up shops The theme of the study includes structure of consumer behavior in Chung-Hwa Street, Chung-Chen Street and Chung-Shan Streets of Hualien City so as to understand the commercial structure of Hualien City. This is so that the people outside of Hualien City may be able to understand its commercial activities. 1. Items to investigate on shops: The main point is to find out if the shop is rented or if the shop owner owns it to understand the cost of the shop’s operation. 2. Investigate the planning area: These include Chung-Hwa Street, Chung-Chen Street and Chung-Shan Street. We collected information and conducted a questionnaire. 3. Investigation of commercial circle: The main point is to investigate the structure of the consumer behavior in the commercial circle, including the techniques of shop operation so as to understand the development of the commercial circle.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:4-6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:1
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
Work is divided in the study project. Classmates communicate through the internet via the school computer. If the work is not completed at school, it may be brought home. Then ADSL is used to access the internet. Information sent by email to each other.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
We have come across many difficulties since the beginning, including the inability to describe using words. Another difficulty is the ability to conduct interviews. We may delay every time we schedule to visit shops for interview. Until one classmate is brave enough to go in and ask questions, other classmates may hesitate to do interviews. The biggest problem is the lack of ability in speaking techniques and expression of words in writing the reports. Therefore, the instructor may have to guide us several times before we understand what to do. However, after the study project has been conducted for a while, it seemed that due to the continued use of our brains, our language ability seemed to improve. In addition, we are six grade students. We are not used to the way in which high school students or university students conduct their interviews and questionnaires. But we proceeded to understand the way that high school students do their questionnaires. So we tried. And instructors guided us as well. Thus we were able to learn and to grow so quickly.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
”Commercial Activities of Hualien City” seemed to be quite a difficult topic for elementary six graders. However, we miraculously challenged this “mission impossible” and miraculously completed this study project. During the entire study project, we began by wishing to go shopping to the extent of completing the questionnaire, and completing the report. We encountered many difficulties and wanted to give up. However, the thought that the work is half way through tells us that if we continue, we will succeed. So we tried harder and succeeded. In the process, our language ability increased and we got to know Hualien City better. We gained a lot indeed.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
From this internet exhibition, my language expression in writing improved, and my interview technique improved. Because we have to record information after interviewing shops, I was able to understand more about the method to conduct a study project and to make briefings. My typing speed increased and my web page production ability improved. Though this study project was not one from our school, we still hoped that the study project compiled will help people outside of Hualien City to gain an understanding about Hualien City. People outside of Hualien City also think that they may be able to use our information in their lesson teachings. Therefore, our work is shared with people outside of Hualien City. We think that this is great.