1. Description of Our Community
Chihshang Rurual Township is located at the north point of Taitung longitudinal valley. It is located at the parting of Hsiukuluan River and Peinan. We got abundant water resources with even terrain. The total area of Chihshang Township is 80 square kilometers, which is the widest terrain at Taitung longitudinal valley. Becasue of its special natural environment and climate, rice grown at Chihshang is sweet and with fragrant smell. Moreover, during the Japanese occupation era, "Chihshang rice" was called the "Emperor rice." "Chihshang" really deserves the name of "Home of rice" at Taitung County.
2. Summary of Our Project
"Rice" is our main food, but in fact we don't know it much. This study is to have a nvestigation on rice. We are going to present you the whole growing process of rice, from the seedling to husking and milling process. In the investigation, we found that not all brands of rice labled as "Chihshang Rice" do come from Chihshang. Thus we made a survey on the small package rice on the market, and wish to have a better understanding of the label. Besides the survey, becasue of the issue that the application for a patent on Chihshang rice has been truned down, we also made a questionnaire. We gave out the questionnaire to six different counties and cities. By this questionnaire we tried to figure out whether customers satisfy the rice on the market, and to find out why the application for a patent on Chishang rice was turned down. Also in the study we provide some tips for choosing good-quality rice for customers.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dial-up modem
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
Our school is installed ADSL for internet use. The upload speed is 384K, and download spped is 1.5 MB. Every computer classrooms are wired to internet, and through the central server, students can contact with the international network easily and quickly. Each student is provided a e-mail address, which helps us a lot in the study.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
(1) Traffic problem It takes about one hour to go from Chihshang to Taitung city, and our crew is not small. Therefore how to get to the markets at Taitung city to have investigations is a big problem. Fortunately, with the help of those passtionate and warm-hearted angels we overcome the traffic problem and finish our study. (2)The problem of scheldue After school, most of our crew have to go to cram schools, thus we don't have much time to get together. In order to finish the investigation, each of our crew re-arranges his/her scheldue for cram schools. Finally we finish the investigation without anyone absent. Besdies this, when at school, we can only have meetings at nap time. Physically this is a great challenge to each of our crew and advisers, but with great perseverance and patience, we overcome this difficulty and finish the study. (3) Problem about the photo shots In order to take shots of transplanting process, we have to wait until the middle ten days of January. Moreover, becasue non of our aquaintance is farmer, we decided to go to the growing seeds center. Fortunately, a passionate and warm-hearted farmer agreed to let us take pictures of transplanting work at his farm. Also, we meet the problem of presenting the rice mill. The rice mill is too huge to present in one singal photo, thus we can only introduce it step by step with joint hotos. (4) Problem on the content of the study: When we decided to make a website, we didn't have any idea about the content. Our crew and advisers brainstormed at several meetings, we had an tentative outline of our study project. After each interview we would discuss and analyze the information we got, and figured out what else we should get to finish our study. Over and over again, we repeat the procedure, finally we have the final outline of our website.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
"With each bowl of gruel or rice you should recall that its production is not easy; With each half length of silk or hemp, always remember "to make a thing is very hard." In the modern society, people can easily get everything they want. People have forgotten the virtue of frugality. During the investigation, we experience the hardish of being a farmer, and realize that the rice we eat everyday comes from many people's hard work, which makes rice be called "thousand people's rice". Moreover we also have a deeper realization about the proverb, "Each bowl of rice, who knows, is the fruit of hard toil?" and have a greater gratitude for and respect on all that are given to us
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
Our Curriculum puts the focus on how to integrate every individual cources, and study project is the best way to exame students' ability to use all knowledge learning in the shcool. In the study project,students not only learn how to cooperate with each other, but learn to use the knowledge they learn in the school to solve problems. When doing the study, we have several meetings to do brainstorming, to share what we learn from the interview, and by these meetings each of us learn how to demonstrate a study report. Also when we have problems, we learn to search data through internet. Moreover, during the study students of 6 grade help to lead students of 5 grade. We learn together, help each other, and overcome problems together; we have overcome many difficulties such as the problem of schedule, physical strength. Finally we finish the study. This is a great experience for us to learn and to grow up. As for the filed in school learning, through the interview with Agricultural Improvement Station, we learn things about crossbreeding, which we have learned in natural science; by making the statistical chart with computer, and the disscussion on this chart, we realize the importance of those chart, which we learned in math cleasses; by recording and writing down the interivew, and putting it on the website, we practice composition.All of these experiences help us to integrate and present all the knowledge we learned in school. Through the case study on "Chihshang rice", students learn to integrate their knowledge, and throught the presentation of the website, we hope to promote Taitung's specialty, and to provide some informations about Chihshang for people to understand it.